memory mapped IO

Hello,

I have a reference board that I am trying to bring up an ethernet
device.  I am wondering if the memory mapped io register layout for
ethernet is standard?  If so, what is the name of the document(s) I
need for this register map?

Because my question deals on wether or not mmio for ethernet is
standardized, the specific chip shouldn't matter.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Pete

Re: memory mapped IO

Yes, quite.  Some processors, like ARM, don't have the concept of IO space
altogether -- just memory.

The data sheet for the particular ethernet controller.

It *does* matter.  What exactly do your mean by "standardized"?

   Vadim

Re: memory mapped IO
Thanks for your reply.  What I meant by standardized is like the PCI
configuration space.  For example, given the class code, you can set or
get a few "standard" registers such as a Base Address Register at a
standard offset of the device if it has one.

I do have a few of the data sheets for this device, the nForce4 CK804.
The two main files I have been using, Register Spec and BIOS Porting
Guide, mention nothing on the contents of the MMIO.  It only mentions
that the BAR for it should be setup.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Pete

Re: memory mapped IO

You could possibly find more information in Linux-related groups or forums.

   Vadim

Site Timeline