Medical grade network connection

Hi. I need to connect an embedded computer to a host through a high
speed link. The embedded computer will be at the same floating ground
as circuitry connected to a patient. So I need  4KV AC isolation from
mains supply ground and other I/O. I do not have much experience with
network circuitry though. NIC isolation transformers usually guarantee
1500Vac isolation. I would appreciate having suggestions on parts that
could meet my requirements or alternative ways to connect this
hardware with a computer.

TIA.

Elder.

Re: Medical grade network connection
You can use:
- a pulse transformer with separated windings
- a high-isolation photo-coupler or a coupler made of a light pipe with
emitter/receiver diodes
- piezo transformer
- rf transceivers
and more...
- Henry

Mad@Spammers schrieb in Nachricht ...

Re: Medical grade network connection

Fiberoptic. It's a simplyst way.

It's can be 2 IR LED, 2 IR phototransistor and 2 pice (RXD TXD) wide
fiberoptic. But much better is sapetial receiver-transmitter ("driver" ?)

It's way for optical isolation for ANY voltage. And very cheap.

Re: Medical grade network connection
Optical fiber.

No electrical connection whatsoever.

HP makes some very nice parts for this kind of thing.

Re: Medical grade network connection

Use high speed opto-isolators for digital signals and an RS422
connection. Most likely, you will require the same isolation on both
sides of the cable. You can have high speed synchronous RS422
transmission with clock recovery with a DPLL circuit in the receiver,
that spares two wire pairs.

The Motorola MPC8xx processors have the required communications
facilities for such a configuration.

To isolate from the other I/O, you will need isolated power for the
RS422 interface circuits. The Texax Instruments (Burr Brown products
dicision) DCR01 Series provides some isolation, perhaps not enough for
your aplication.

Sincerely,

- Thierry Moreau

CONNOTECH Experts-conseils inc.
9130 Place de Montgolfier
Montreal, Qc
H2M 2A1

Tel.: (514)385-5691
Fax:  (514)385-5900

e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@connotech.com

Re: Medical grade network connection
Use a battery operated embedded computer.

/us