MCU with 2 serial ports.

Hi, I need use a MCU with 2 serial ports ( must ), very very small package and at least 4/8 Kbytes Flash/OPT. Can anybody recommend any to me?

Reply to
r_malerba

Philips LPC2106?

Leon

--
Leon Heller
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Take a look at the Ubicom IP2022:

================= GPS based time synchronization solutions ================= Patrick Klos Email: snipped-for-privacy@timegeeks.com Klos Technologies, Inc. Web:

==== I don't think infinity is as big as it seems - P.Klos, 20-Mar-2005 ====

Reply to
Patrick Klos

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

ATmega162

7 x 7 mm package (QFN-44). 2 x UART 16 kB Flash 1 kB SRAM

If you go to the 5 x 5 mm QFN-32 you need to do an UART emulation using maybe an SPI since you only have one H/W UART.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

In Microchip's line, there are a few dsPIC members that have dual UARTs in a QFN44 (and one in an SOIC-28). All have plenty of Flash & RAM.

Jim G. should be around any minute now to enumerate all the 8051 variants that have dual UARTs.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Check out the Freescale line (Motorola). The 9hcs08gt16 is a good part.

16K memory for the price of 4K and many periphials. It also uses BDM > Hi, I need use a MCU with 2 serial ports ( must ), very very small
Reply to
Jim

PSOC PIC17 something SiLab 8052

Reply to
Neil Kurzman

:) Not many that also meet the 'very very small package'.

Generally, 4/8K code and small are OK, but 2 uarts is the realm of larger code sizes/more pin devices.

The SiLabs C8051F330 family, is 20 pins and MLF20, & would have the SW muscle to do the second UART in SW. The PCA can be used to assist in SW uart design, both on TX and RX.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

What sort of speeds are you running at? If the uarts are running fairly slow compared to the clock rate, or your cpu has little else to do, then you could use software uarts. Getting past about 9600 baud requires some thought (or a fast clock), but software uarts will let you use the smallest possible micros.

Reply to
David Brown

Err, there is no S2052 ?

Probably you mean one of :

AT89S2051/89S4051 = ISP versions of AT89C2051, SPI is for ISP only. They are relatively slow, with /6 clocking

AT89LP2052/4052 = New 1 cycle cores from Atmel, just sampling.

20 MIPS. 256 Ram. These have better SPI and UART, so is probably the smallest/cheapest device with which you could make a SPI-nUART bridge. TSSOP20.

When this is fuly available, it will be a natural choice for serious SPI-UART extensions to larger devices, allowing as many uarts as you want - indicated price is less than a ~MAX202 interface device.

In the camp of "Smallest SPI+UART" there are also the Philips LPC913/LPC914, Slower, less Code/Ram, but in TSSOP14.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Microchip have had several small (14-18 pins) FLASH devices with UARTs for several years now. The newer 14-18 pin devices are worth a look.

As a previous poster mentioned, there is a DSPIC in 28 pins with 2 UARTs. Without more application information all we can fire back are specs rather than advice.

-Andrew M

Reply to
Andrew M

Quite a few of TI's MSP430 range, JTAG programming is handy.

Reply to
Rob

Zilog Z8 Encore! (8 bits 20Mhz Max) Philips LPC21xx (32 bits 60Mhz Max)

Reply to
Fred*

Renesas R8C/13 and others from R8C/1x line.

Reply to
Grzegorz Mazur

You haven't specified how small is small. The Cypress PSoC comes as small as an 8 pin in DIP and a 20 pin in SOIC or SSOP. You also don't sa whether you need any other functions.

The PSoC is different to most other micros in that it has digital block and analog blocks and you can create the peripherals that you need using very simple design environment. You can easily have 2 UARTs or even more plus any number of combinations of timers, AtoD, DtoA, Instrument Amps PGAs, filters etc. etc.

antedeluvian

Do you have open source code that does that ? Sounds great !

Toni.

Reply to
Toni76

Toni, Sorry for the delay. I am having trouble posting on this forum. I hop this message gets through.

There is no open source code to do this. What you need is PSoC Designe

4.2 which you can download for free from the Cypress web site here

There is another product called PSoC Express which is supposed to mak things even easier, but the reports that I have seen suggest that it i still in its infancy and has much room for improvement.

You will find some pre-recorded on-line training modules here

There is also a user forum, app notes and tech support. The user foru suffered a lot recently during recent website modifications and you ma find you prefer

. it too has som additional information especially this thread for beginners:

-Aubrey

antedeluvian

There is a new article on the PSoC in the latest Circuit Cellat that i also available on line

-Aubrey

antedeluvian