MCORE

Hi All,

I have to start working over Motorola MCORE microcontroller.

Can anybody suggest any doc(data sheet) and web sites from where i can get initial information.

Can anyone please give me overview of the MCORE as i am completly new to this controller.

Thanks in advance. Ram

Reply to
Ram

Hello,

Look in

- plenty of data on MCORE there (Mototola no longer make processors - Freescale is the spin off that does.)

If you have a choice for a new project this may not be the best part - Motorola decided not to take it any further several years ago and I don't expect Freescale will change that decision. The processors are fine - just don't expect any new parts in the family. I think you'll be stuck with Code Warrior (not very nice when I used it with MCORE a few years agao) or a rather old open source port.

Freescale do some nice ARM, PowerPC and ColdFire parts with similar peripherals which are probably rather more mainstream for them.

Michael Kellett

MK

Ram, the best document to study would be the datasheet of your mcu. And secondly, have a look at freescale website. You can find tons of information there from audio/video tutorials to reading material. And finally you need to get familiar with their 'service request' web interface, i must say that thats the best support i've ever had ;)

As another poster pointed that you will endup with code warrior and i do think its bit mature now over the time (e.g. 5.x versions), especially the 'Processor Expert' is something very nice and handy to make a prototype in no time.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Personally I've never liked CodeWarrior - it's fine if you want to remain within the IDE forever, but if you're more used to a command line and Makefiles, you'll find it's not the most congenial environment.

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "how many clever men have called the sun a fool?"
Reply to

Note also that debug hardware for MCore is as scarce as hen's teeth, and only slightly more effective.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Even the old gcc generated quite good code for the mcore. From the gcc documentation it looks like mcore has been folded into the main source code, so one can build an mcore cross compiler based on the 4.2 source tree. This would probably generate very good code.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Hi,

Reply to
kelly.carter

Hi, It's a shame Motorola/Freescale isn't growing that processor family any more. I've been using it for about 6 years and found it to be an excellent part. It is reasonably low power considering the peripheral set and the CodeWarrior tools that we use make pretty tight code. You'll need the data sheet MMC2114AD.pdf as a minimum and an IDE from someone. As I said, I use the CodeWarrior tools but there are others. You'll need a debugger pod from someone(Freescale EBDI or equivalent). The interrupt structure is radically different from the low end 8 bit parts you may be used to but very nice once you get going and begin to understand it. If you are looking at a new project, I would recommend going with a Freescale ColdFire instead. That family is growing stronger and the MCF5214 is practically the same part. The core is different but the peripheral set is the same.

Reply to
kelly.carter