MCF5223x gcc cross compiler under Linux/x86_64

I'm looking for instructions on how to build a gcc based cross compiler for MCF5223x under Linux/x86_64 (gentoo in my case)?

Thanks Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

You might want to check out "crosstools" by Dan Kegel. It is a set of scripts that builds various revisions of gcc toolchains for various architectures. Even if it doesn't do exactly what you want, you could try following the scripts to see how it's done. Good luck...

Brian

Reply to
Brian

You might find it easier to get the package from CodeSourcery:

They've got pre-build linux tarballs, and also a tarball of the source code if you want to do it yourself (to get 64-bit binaries, for example). They are pretty much the "official" maintainers of the ColdFire gcc port (i.e., they are supported by Freescale, and work closely with the FSF). I haven't downloaded their code myself (I'm using a home-built setup from about a year ago), but I'll get round to it sometime.

Of course, you learn far more by building the toolkit yourself with the help of websites here and there, and you can customise it (you want binary constants of the form 0b01100101? Just merge in the patch from avr-gcc into your ColdFire gcc build tree...)

Reply to
David Brown

I've build cross compilers from gcc previously (both m68k and ppc targets), but it appears that m68k is no longer a supported target for binutils (at least no on x86_64):

$ tar xvfz binutils-2.17.tar.gz $ cd binutils-2.17 $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/scratch/petter/coldfire/ --target=m68k-coff $ make

Which results in:

checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no This target is no longer supported in gas make[1]: *** [configure-gas] Error 1

But if I try to compile old versions of binutils (e.g. binutils-2.9.1) on my x86_64 I get:

Invalid configuration `x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu': machine `x86_64-unknown' not recognized

So I'm looking for a version of binutils (or more correctly gas) which support a m68k target on an x86_64 platform?

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petter Gustad

Thanks David. That will at least tell me which version of the tools supports m68k cross compilation.

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petter Gustad

The codesourcery tarball is great. I've managed to build and run a hello world style application. However, in order to do utilize the features of the 52235 I need to obtain header files for all the registers, bit-fields, and some libraries like a tcp/ip stack.

I've seen some people suggesting to use the CodeWarrior header files, but they seem to have a different run-time library and link scripts, which has to be ported. Does anybody know if this has been done already? I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.