Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor

http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm?qv_pk34%82&ln= (Seems to have
everything apart from the kitchen sink)

I am considering evaluating  the above part, would be very interested in
hearing about other peoples experiences. Particularly would like to hear
from anyone who has used it directly with thermocouples ( did you need to do
any amplification before the 1463?).

Also would like to hear any comments about software development for the
chip, the evaluation kit refers to an assembler but I couldn't find it
separately on The Maxim web site. Is there any debugging support.

Given that the chip has both ADC and DAC functions. Would also be interested
to know if anyone has implemented a full closed loop control system with the
on board controller or whether you have closed the loop through the main
(master) microcontroller.

Best wishes and Thanks

Payman

Re: Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor

  Do not bother with anything that Maxim/Dallas "makes".
  A lot of the stuff they advertise is completely unavailable at almost
any price - no samples in any quantity over zero.
  Either find another vendor (that *really* makes what you would like),
or make them yourself.
  Ther are a lot of distributors that refuse to carry any Maxim stuff,
due to the problems of availability.

Re: Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor
says...

That must explain their $40/share stock price.  They have no cost of
goods sold.
Our Maxim reps have always been very honest and accurate about lead
times on new products.  New parts are always scarce, but in my
experience they've never failed to deliver.

We requested and got the 1463 evaluation kit, which includes the
assembler and a debugger.  We're learning now whether the part can
handle our control loop itself or not.

--Gene

Re: Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor

have
in
hear
to do
the
interested
with the
main

Hello Gene

Thank you for the comments so far. Can you please clarify whether the
evaluation kit plugs straight into the PC (parallel port?) or whether some
additional controller PCB is required ( the Dallas web site has a picture
showing a controller but doesn't make clear what this device is)

Also it is not clear to me what the performance of the analogue front end
is, I require an offset of around 1 to  2V/C as I intend to interface
directly to thermocouples, the data sheet seems a little thin in this
respect.

I will be ordering an evaluation kit once I get a response from the
applications engineers here in the UK in the meanwhile, do you know whether
the assembler/debugger is available separately from the evaluation kit?

Regards

Payman

Re: Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor

Yes, the parallel port is used as the only connection to the eval board,
which has some voltage regulation and additional analog components.

I don't have that information.

I doubt it. There's no simulator, so it's useless without hardware.

--Gene

Re: Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor

interested
need
for
find it
system
the
almost
like),
stuff,
some
picture
end
whether

Thanks Gene

From what you say it appears that you are not able to run the debugger on
your target system  and that it will it only run on the evaluation kit. Is
that correct?

Payman

Re: Maxim 1463 Two-Channel Sensor Signal Processor

The debugger is hosted on your PC, but it needs a part to talk to.

--Gene

Site Timeline