Max number of modules/boards for PC 104 system

Hi all,

is there any limit in number of board/modules in one PC 104 system? I have found limit in number of PCI boards but no one for ISA board

System that I'm designing should have folowing modules:

- Power suply board

- Procesor Board with procesor

- FrameGrabber on PCI

- 2 x CAN borad on ISA

- 5 x I/O board (16 DI & 16 DO) on ISA

- Analog input board on ISA

When I will sum it there will be 1 PCI board, 8 ISA boards and Procesor board. My friend told me that there are some terminators which can stabilize noise on the bus, but I haven't found any article about it, so I don't know if it's neccesary or not.

thank in advance Pavel

Reply to
Pavel

Hopefully someone will jump in with a better answer, but in the meantime:

Yes, there is going to be a maximum -- but I'm not a PC-104 guru, so I can't say what it is. This should be specified in the PC-104 specification, so if you dig for it you should find something. _Any_ electronic bus like this is going to have some maximum number of boards that you can hang on it. There's a definite correlation between the capability of the bus drivers, the loading of the receivers, and the length of the lines. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with PC-104 to say exactly what it is.

It sounds like you have six boards on the ISA bus -- this is around the range where I would be making sure to check, but wouldn't be anticipating bad news. I'd read that specification carefully, and I'd be seeing if any of the vendors that I'm buying from had someone who could discuss technical details with me -- I'd start with the processor vendor, I think.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

There are multiple limits. The busload was already mentioned by Tim. Then there is a finite number of interrupts, whatever the drivers are able to do with them. Then there is finite adress range for the IO as well as for the memory mapped peripherals.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

I have calculate it and IO space will be OK, we will not use interupt for digital board so this can be omited.

Pavel

Reply to
Pavel

All this and more answered at

S>> The maximum configuration for the PCI bus of PC/104-Plus modules is four

Reply to
Steve at fivetrees