Market share data for microcontrollers

Can anybody point me in the direction of market share data for 8 and 16bit
microcontrollers.  All I can find is marketing hype.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:45:19 -0000, the renowned "Nobody"

Here you go:
http://www4.gartner.com/DisplayDocument?id39%8871&ref=g_search

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

Fine if you have tend grand to spare.

Ian

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

Anyone who _would_ spend so foolishly would not have ten thousand bucks to start.

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:33:41 GMT, the renowned Bryan Hackney

start.

They say their revenues were almost $900 million dollars in the last
fiscal year so I guess there are a lot of foolish people. But really,
these guys are the original source of most of the statistics quoted in
the "marketing hype". It costs a lot of money to reliably gather and
evaluate such market intelligence. You might be able to find some free
summaries in trade magazine articles.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
Thanks, I think (?).  No doubt it is very good, but out of my price range by
aprox $9,995.

I have located a rough ranking for 8bit devices, but not from an independent
source:

http://www.picbook.com/bookinfo/C1.pdf page 3.

16bit
to start.
http://www.trexon.com
http://www.speff.com

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:22:26 -0000, the renowned "Nobody"

;-)

They quote just the same original source (Dataquest Gartner). Things
have changed since 2000. Microchip now claims #1 over Motorola in
8-bitters in terms of units shipped (dollars may be different), and
Renesas is now in existence- a merger of Hitachi and Mitsubishi. No
doubt other things are different as well.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

You know, I read this statistic before somewhere, and I'm still
surprised and deeply suspicious. Where the hell ARE all these PICs?
Are people buying them and putting them in landfill just to get the
sales numbers up? When I open consumer appliances and peripherals -
monitors, TVs, USB peripherals, remote controls, etc etc - I find
8051s, ASICs (many with 8051s in them - USB devices in particular), I
find weird proprietary 4-bit and 8-bit processors, I find processors
based around 6502 and 65C816, I find DSPs. So, where are all these
umpteen trillions of PICs going? Surely the market for PlayStation
modchips isn't that massive? The only Microchip parts I see on a
regular basis are EEPROMs - often, attached to 8051s :)

I've been told that Visteon is a big Microchip client, but surely they
are not the world's #1 consumer of microcontrollers?

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

One in every credit/debit/loyalty card?

Paul Burke

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

No.

Ian

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

Good question -
Their ASP gives a clue, it's still very close to $1, so that's
truckloads of very low braincell count devices, selling into the
'disposable' markets.
They don't claim trillions, IIRC they boasted about getting to
their second (US) billion, and their annual run rate is some
few hundred millions.
-jg

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
Hi, pics are mostly found in the domestic market where the high volume is. The
8051 has allmost no presence as a stand alone chip is these markets because of
cost. There is some presence in asics this is mainly due to licensing
arrangements rather than any technical merit.

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

Define domestic market and high volume and name some products.

Strange.  Philips use 8051s in their TVs, VCRs, CD &DVD players/recorders
and DECT and GSM handsets.

Ian

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
yes well phillips make 8051 so you would expect that.

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
And it disproves the OP's claim that "The 8051 has allmost no presence as a
stand alone chip in these (domestic) markets"

Ian

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

What is "domestic market"? Do computer monitors and TV sets count as
"high volume" appliances? Every computer monitor I've been inside in
the last 2 years has had either a standalone 8051 variant or an ASIC
containing an 8051. Computer keyboards. USB flash-card-readers. CD-ROM
drives (formerly, these often contained a standalone 8051-type chip,
now it's usually integrated in an ASSP).

So what you're saying here is that the 8051 core sells more units than
any - or indeed the aggregate of - PIC cores, yes? I could care less
about merit, we were talking about volumes shipped. Microsoft is the
only proof you need that the two ideas are utterly unrelated.

As I see it, your message boils down to saying "PIC is the most
popular choice for products that contain a PIC". Really high-volume
applications can get significant cost savings by using an ASIC. If
there are more 8051 ASICs than PIC ASICs (I never heard of a PIC ASIC
at all) then in "real high volume", the 8051 is still king no matter
how you slice it.

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers
Hi, I think you are putting your own spin on this. I was merely answering the
question of where all the pics go. I did not say that the 8051 core out sells
pic cores. I have never seen a 8051 standalone chip in any tv set, not all
asics have a 8051 core either , how do you know the ones you've seen have?

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

No you weren't, you said "The 8051 has allmost no presence as a stand alone
chip in these (domestic) markets" which is plainly not true.

Ian

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

I don't have a spin. I really don't care who sells more chips. I tend
to work on low-volume products so I've got the whole field open to me.
(I find PIC is not as easy to work with as AVR, but I've used both
families - and 8051 for that matter - and wouldn't hesitate to use a
PIC if it was the right fit for an application). But it is an
observable phenomenon that 51s are everywhere.

You said that the PIC outsells 8051 in "high volume" applications and
the "domestic market". I ask for a definition of these terms, because
they obviously don't mean the same thing to me as they do to you. I
regard, say, CD players, CD-ROM drives, USB flash-card readers and
computer monitors, as all being exceedingly high-volume products. The
issue of what "domestic market" means is even grayer. Do you mean some
specific market, like say North America, or are you making a general
statement that PICs are used principally in goods that are not
intended for export?

Because I have official data for some of them, and ROM disassemblies
for others (also don't forget ASSPs, like all-in-one VCR system
controllers, all-in-one LCD monitor controllers, all-in-one CRT
monitor controllers, CD controllers and so on - practically all of
these I've seen are 8051-cored). Furthermore, I see numerous vendors
advertising 8051 cores ready to integrate into your ASIC like a side
of fries, and nowhere have I seen anyone advertising the PIC as
integrable IP.

Re: Market share data for microcontrollers

Reminds me of when I was in Japan and visited the "worlds largest Tokyo
Tower" :-)

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com