Making faceplate labels with inkjet

I've designed a couple of test boxes and artwork for the faceplates.
Due to a number of reasons I would like to print the faceplate using our
inkjet printer.  Does anyone have a suggestion for media that will work
well with inkjet printers and be durable.  Regular paper doesn't seem
like a good answer unless one goes to the trouble of putting a clear
plastic cover over it (more work).

Regards,
Dave

Re: Making faceplate labels with inkjet

Inkjet != durable because the inks are water-soluble. You could try
the printable transparencies, and print a reversed image on the back.
It's probably easier to use printable self-adhesive paper stock and
spray the finished panel with varnish.

Re: Making faceplate labels with inkjet

This showed up in a google search

http://www.hyaz.com/inkjet%20waterproof%20vinyl.html

Robert

Re: Making faceplate labels with inkjet

For my prototypes, I cover the faceplate with clear packaging tape.

Al

Re: Making faceplate labels with inkjet

I've used overhead transparency film, and printed a mirror image on
it, then glued that to the panel using spray adhesive.  Because I
print a mirror image, the toner/ink is against the panel, protected by
the film.

However, I prefer to use http://www.frontpanelexpress.com - they
engrave anodized aluminum panels to your design.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Personally I would print using laser as preference. Even cheap colour
lasers exists for low volums runs (Xerox 6110) or wax printers even
better.

Secondly as others have said look at mirror printing to get items on
back of plastic/panel.

Thirdly look at Avery labels L4775, L7068, L7067 or even as silver L6013
these are Laser labels and I do not believe any inkjet comparable ones exist.

Re: Making faceplate labels with inkjet

This is what I use - http://www.horizonsisg.com/products/alumajet.asp .

If you have a printer with a straight paper path (like one that can print
directly on CD's), then you can use the thicker aluminum.

I use an Epson Photo 900 and print water resistant artwork on 0.016"
aluminum.

Re: Making faceplate labels with inkjet

We have pigment inks now on a high-end inkjet (b9180) and there are also
some tips on how to print waterproof with our low-end printers on "Advanced"
paper here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00798587&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=&product71%896&rule58%9

Andrew

Site Timeline