m68k-elf-objcopy does not convert .ELF to .BIN file

Hi,

.ELF to .BIN conversion is working for one set of source code , but it is not working with

another set of code .

I do the following for converting the .ELF to .BIN : "m68k-elf-objcopy -O binary clock.elf clock.bin".

Does source code have any role in affecting the generation of .ELF to .BIN ? OR Does configuration settings of the compiler that generates the .ELF file has influence ?

I am using Codewarrior for compilation and generation of .ELF file. I use m68k-elf-objcopy (cygwin tool) for conversion of .ELF to .BIN file for fusing the .BIN in flash memory.

I find that the configuration settings of both the set of source codes are the same, but the ".ELF to .BIN" is happening for one set of source code's .ELF file , but it is not

happening for the other set of source code files. Really strange ???

Does the source code play a role in causing problem for converting the .ELF to .BIN file ?

Is there anything related with LCF (Linker Control File) ?

I even tried with creating a new project, by putting all the necessary stuffs in the right place. But, i am still unable to get the .BIN file from the .ELF file. Really strange.

Kindly share your views regarding this .

Tonnes of thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
KBG

Sounds really weird. I use the arm-elf version and use a little different command line: arm-elf-objcopy file.elf -O file.bin So elf file before the -O option, not sure if it matters.

What is the error message you get?

Stef

  1. What actually happens? Do you get an error, or an empty BIN file?
  2. objdump the section info for both ELFs and post it here.
Reply to
larwe

Hi friends,

1) I get an Empty BIN file. But this ELF file for which the generated BIN file is empty , is getting executed perfectly from RAM via Codewarrior. So, It is really strange - Why does a good working ELF file generate a empty BIN file when m68k-elf-objcopy is used ?? Really strange !!

2) The files are pretty big. file1.dump is of 10 MB in size file2.dump is of 20 MB in size

What could be the reason. It is really strange .

The ELF file for which the BIN file is empty , is getting executed perfectly from RAM via Codewarrior. So, It is really strange - Why does a good working ELF file generate a empty BIN file when m68k-elf-objcopy is used.

Is it a problem with m68k-elf-objcopy or Some other issue ???

Really strange . Kindly share your views regarding this.

Tonnes of thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

larwe wrote:

Reply to
KBG

Hi friends,

What are the other possibile reasons/things because of which it(ELF file generated using Codewarrior ) is working perfectly from RAM using Codewarrior , but the BIN file is not getting generated when m68k-elf-objcopy is used ????

1) I get an Empty BIN file. But this ELF file for which the generated BIN file is empty , is getting executed perfectly from RAM via Codewarrior. So, It is really strange - Why does a good working ELF file generate a empty BIN file when m68k-elf-objcopy is used ?? Really strange !!

2) The files are pretty big. file1.dump is of 10 MB in size file2.dump is of 20 MB in size

The ELF file for which the BIN file is empty , is getting executed perfectly from RAM via Codewarrior.

So, It is really strange -> Why does a good working ELF file generate a empty BIN file when m68k-elf-objcopy is used.

Where could be the problem ??? What could be reason ???? Really strange . Kindly share your views regarding this.

Tonnes of thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Stef wrote:

Reply to
KBG

Op 20 Sep 2006 07:09:27 -0700 schreef KBG:

This is the third time you asked. What have you done with the answers 'Stef' and 'larwe' wrote to your questions?

So, in short: what are the error messages you get. This news group does not consist of clearvoyants!

--
Coos
Reply to

Yeah, and the one that generates a good BIN file is probably being compiled for ROM/flash target, right?

This wasn't an answer to my question 2, which I have requoted below for your convenience:

Reply to
larwe

Hi,

I Would like to share the solution for the problem that i was facing last week.

This ELF problem is due to the lcf file.

The (RWX) fixed the problem of the 0 byte size binary file. Initially, i did not have the RWX attributes defined for the FLASH / RAM memory.

MEMORY { flash (RWX) : ORIGIN = 0xFF800000, LENGTH = 0x00005000 ram (RWX) : ORIGIN = 0x00003000 , LENGTH = 0x00200000 }

Now, things work fine !!! Thankyou.

Regards, Karthik Balaguru

larwe wrote:

Reply to