M16C62 Starter Kit 2 - KD30 won't run... Should I reload the monitor

Hi all.
I seem to have a problem with my Starter Kit 2. It seems KD30 cannot
connect. The Starter Kit 2 (uses M30624FGAFP) does not have any jumpers
available so I am assuming that my configuration (as default) is correct. I
plugged in a power supply and ensured that the voltage from the regulator
was 5V and was getting to the power pins of the MCU. GND was also okay.

When I try to connect using the KD30 that came with the CD, it could not
connect. I tried all different possible COM ports, different MCU
configurations, I tried many things. The error message is : Communication
ERROR: Can't accept data.

I suspect that there is no monitor on the board, although the documentation
says that it comes pre-loaded with it. Otherwise, I think there might be
some hardware config I might need to do. Unfortunately, the documentation is
very poor and I have to search on the web to get all available documentation
(even the user manual for the starter kit). I think the chip will be perfect
if it performs to spec, but I am having a difficult time getting all the
tools working.

I think I should try and reload the monitor, however I don't like doing
things like that. I am worried that if I reload the monitor incorrectly,
then there is no way to recover. I have had this happen before with some AMD
chips I used to work with. Does anyone have any suggestions or had this
happen to them when they worked with this chip?
Chris

Re: M16C62 Starter Kit 2 - KD30 won't run... Should I reload the monitor

Hi Chris

I don't know the paritcular starter kit you refer to, but the way it
sounds there is really no monitor installed. Don't worry, you can't
permanently destroy the chip with loading the wrong monitor or such.
The serial bootloader is programmed in a part of the flash that only
could be re-programmed using a paralell programmer.

Look through the app notes at the Renesas site. There is an appnote
that describes how  the chip must be configured (i.e. which pin's to
gnd or vcc etc.) to bring it into the propper mode and program it over
the serial interface. You also need FlashStart (available there too)
to upload the monitor (or your final project) into the chip. Once the
monitor is loaded, the programm under developement can easily uploaded
unsing the integrated developement envireonement. IMHO your
Developement board MUST have a jumper on it or then it's asumed that
you use a special programming cable that serves this purpose. I made
my M16 based design this way to save the otherwise needed level
converter (max232) and because I don't need a serial interface in the
final product. It might very well be that this starter kit took the
same route.

HTH

Markus

Re: M16C62 Starter Kit 2 - KD30 won't run... Should I reload the monitor
Chris,
-- that sounds desperate....

Now keep cool.

Ok. Here is a step by step instruction what to do.
Do not worry it is really easy.

First have a look at the manual.

You need to have a jumper that puts the CPU into botloader mode.
In the schematic you can identify the correct jumper since it is connected
to the CNVss Pin of the M16

Once you have found (and possibly installed) the jumper reset the CPU. It is
in bootloader mode now.

After that start the flashsta.exe program that is delivered on a CD with the
Starter Kit.
Usually somewhere on the CD there is a monitor hex file (*.mot) that you can
download to the CPU.

If you have located the correct file load it with flashsta.exe onto the M16.
That should take only a few seconds.

Just make sure you do not mess with the ID code that will lock the CPU for
serial download if you enter the wrong one.
The default is 00 00 00 00 etc. It should be ALL ZEROES unless you want to
protect your Application.

That is about all there is.

Flashing the M16C is really easy.

Success.
/jan

bmuds0$2h4$ snipped-for-privacy@news01dc.so-net.ne.jp...
documentation
is
documentation
perfect
AMD

[...]

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I will flash the part and hopefully get
things to start working. Sounds like it is relatively safe if the bootloader
is in the EEPROM and not the flash. I'm glad I can tap into such a vast
resource of knowledge for help with my simple problems.
Chris

Site Timeline