LVDS question

Hi there. I'm trying to fix up number of Samsung LTN1785W with cracked LCD screen with replacement LCD panels. I've come across couple of problems and would like some assistance getting around these problems with very little costs.

a) I found that the original TFT panel I'm trying to replace (LTA170WP) takes in 5V where as my replacement panels (2 X LTN170WX-L01 and 1 X LTN170WA-L01) both take in 3.3Volts.

b) I also found that the LVDS connectors are wider on my replacement panels. According to original panel's specs here

, the LVDS interface is "LVDS ch1". The vendor who sold me that panel says that those three new panels are LVDS ch2 interfaces.

What I'm trying to figure out with my very limited knowledge in this area, is there a product out there that would let me get around two of my problems I'd indicated above? Any help or direction would be welcomes and appreciated. Thank you so much.

Reply to
jaykwon72

From the briefest of looking replacing a 1280x768 panel with a 1680x1050 widescreen panel. So not the same panel. The original part number spec I have says 3.3V for the original.

Uses 4 pair of LVDS signals (1 channel), whilst the new one probably uses

8 pairs of LVDS signals (2 channels).

This is not uncommon, I have interleaved two sources into one panel drive before now, not trivial. You need to take a digital source at a higher resolution than oiriginal (does the source have the capability) and split it into two LVDS streams, possibly watching the video timing on the encoded h/v sync and blanking (enable), as well as keeping the two channels pixel synchronous.

I have seen panels that have FOUR channels of LVDS!

I think you are confusing 1 channel or 2 channel with "ch1" and "ch2", Sounds to me that it requires two lots of LVDS to drive the pixels in an interleaved manner. So you have 8 pairs of LVDS going to the screen. Basically to achieve the line rate first pixel is driven by one lot of LVDS (4 pairs = 1 channel) and the second pixel from the second lot of LVDS (next 4 pairs = 2nd channel). In otherwords LVDS first channel drives odd pixels and LVDS 2nd channel drives the even pixels.

More pins means wider connector.

Unless you can drive the interleaved data at that high a resolution and frequency go get the CORRECT panel replacement!

I suspect this is just a laptop/notebook repair, which normally for cracked screens I would not bother with. Either get the CORRECT screen for the device or get a new laptop/notebook.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter