Lua Workshop

A Lua workshop will be held at Adobe's headquarters in San Jose, California,
on July 27-28, 2005. Preliminary information is now available at
    http://www.lua.org/wshop05.html

Everyone is welcome and there is no registration fee but participants
are required to register because only a limited number of seats are
available, which will be filled first-come, first-served.

So, if you're interested, please register. Thanks.
--lhf

Re: Lua Workshop

California,

Wow, took some determined effort to find out wtf a Lua is via this link.
Very, very little to do with embedded processing, and absolutely nothing to
do with hula dancing or the eating of poi.  When posting to newsgroups whose
members are unlikely to have too much experience in desktop bloatware
extension languages, it may be considered courteous to give at least a three
or four word description of the subject of your post.

Cheers,
Alf

Re: Lua Workshop

I found it by typing "www.lua.org" and clicking the "about" link.

I fully agree that a short description of lua would be useful - it's not a
language many have come across (at least, not in this group).  However, it
does have *something* to do with embedded processing.  Lua is a scripting
language, more legible than perl and smaller than python.  It is provided
as a set of C functions, and is thus entirely practical to implement as a
scripting language for embedded systems, at least for 32-bit micros.

http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s24%27/uni1021991894316/0205h.htm

Re: Lua Workshop
[snip]

Really?  It took just two rather obvious clicks from the page that came up.
Same thing if you google for "Lua".

[snip]

Actually, I'm about to use Lua in an embedded system. It is hardly a bloat
for what it does. Embedded systems are not necessarily 8 bit'ers with a few
k of memory these days.

DJ
--

Re: Lua Workshop

I'd be curious to know more about your setup here, and how well it works
out - I'm vaguely considering lua myself.  Am I right in thinking you can
pre-compile (to byte code) lua code first, and thus avoid the overhead of
the compiler/intepreter in the embedded system?  And is it practical to
compile lua using only integers instead of floating point numbers?

David

Re: Lua Workshop

Yes, but you only avoid the compiler. The interpreter is needed for
running the code, of course. The compiler modules of the Lua core
account for around 35% of the total size of the Lua core (which is
small anyway).

Yes.

BTW, sorry for not posting details about Lua when I announced the workshop.
--lhf

Re: Lua Workshop
[snip]

I can't go into much detail, but in this system memory is not an issue.
Anyway, the footprint of a complete Lua environment is not more than
a couple of hundred kB. I see Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo answered
your other questions.

BTW, this is a good opportunity :-) :

Luiz - lots thanks to you and the rest of the Lua team. Great work!

DJ