LPC210x users?

Hi,

We are going to design a small thingummy using the Philips LPC2106 ARM chip. Are there any happy or unhappy users of LPC210x chips in this newsgroup? Care to share your experiences?

Where can I find application notes / reference designs for the LPC family? How about the FLASH programming algorithm (in case we want to erase the bootloader and use our own)?

What else do we want to know? :-)

Thanks a bunch!

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

n article , Jukka Marin writes

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

I will use it for ham purposes... I'd like to share infos. Leon Heller is making a pcb for it and he will provide it low-priced.

What is a thingummy?

Regards - Henry

Jukka Marin schrieb in Nachricht ...

chip.

Reply to
Henry

If I understand the documentation correctly you can't erase the boot loader. The top 8K of the flash cannot be erased or written to. The flash algorithm isn't documented anyway, you have to use the boot code for programming.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

A widget.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

It's very similar to a wotsit, a thingy or a doodah. Oojamaflops are related to them as well.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Sorry. Seems only a native english speaker know what it is?

Leon Heller schrieb in Nachricht ...

Reply to
Henry

... snip ...

Something like the German stoff. Also known as a watchamacallit.

Please don't top-post. Corrected.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Like cloth? really?

Better would be "das Dings", or similar.

Reply to
Sheldon Simms

In article , Henry wrote: [thingummy]

No, I'm not a native, either.. just learned the word a long time ago and thought it was funny.

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

That would be nice, kind of.

That's too bad.. we have our own embedded OS with our own bootloader/ monitor/debugger/whatever and it would be nice to have the LPC chips completely under our control, just like the other chips we are using.

Well, the LPC's are the cheapest single-chip ARMs I know of, so I guess we'll just have to settle for this. They also sound a lot faster than the Atmel chips with a slow 16-bit FLASH.

Thanks,

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

That may still be possible. The 8K bootblock contains code for In Application Programming (IAP) so you could use your normal loader and have it call the IAP code to do the actual dirty work.

Robert

Reply to
R Adsett

You might want to take a look at the OKI ARM chips. They have the ML67Q400x and the ML67Q500x families. Both are very similar with the

400x running up to 33 MHz and the 500x running at up to 60 MHz. The OKI chip has an external bus as well as 4 channels of ADC that the Philips parts don't have. OKI provides a fixed 32 KB of RAM and flash ranges from 0 to 512 KB.

I have not found the Philips parts to be any cheaper than the OKI parts once you dicker with them a bit. I am getting the top end chip for about $11.

--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

The internal FLASH appears to be slow, 16-bit memory (unlike on LPC210x where it runs at zero wait-states at 60 MHz). I e-mailed a dealer, anyway, and am waiting for pricing and other info. (But I already designed the LPC into one project today....)

In what quantities? The LPC chips are 9...11 eur in small quantities over here.

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin

designed

It is common to find cores outrun the memory in this area... The LPC21xx ( like the Cygnal 100MIPS models) uses wider data paths to solve the relatively slow FLASH speed issues. Philips claim the LPC2114 with ADC is 'available now', but the data is a bit behind the press-release :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Yes, the 128 bit wide Flash is nice, depending on just how they implement the fetch, with or without lookahead. On the other hand the OKI 500x parts have true cache which speeds both the flash and any external memory.

Actually I checked my quote and the 5003 was $9.48 on 100 pieces, $8.59 at 1000. I believe that is about 7 to 8 eur, but if you aren't ordering

100 pieces or more, who really cares about a buck or two?
--
Rick "rickman" Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
rickman

The LPC21xx (along with the Cygnal 100MIPS devices ) use wider FLASH (128 bits) to avoid the FLASH speed problems. Easy in single chip, not so easy in off-chip designs.

Philips also claim the LPC2114 (includes ADC ) are 'available now', but the data itself is slower appearing than the press release :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville