low cost usb controller

Hey, I need to add usb support to an exiting design that already includes a Altera MAX EPM3064A CPLD and a 12MHz ARM micro controller. I need something in the full speed range for the usb controller but the trick is that it needs to come in under $2 for both the controller and support chips. How can I leveradge my existing hardware to bring costs in line.

I already have looked at Cypress, TI and FTID but all of there IC's are in the $3-$6 range in quantitys. If I got a paralel usb transcever could I use my CPLD for a data buffer and rely on the processor to handle the decode/encode of the data?

Any input would be apriciated. David Tucker

Reply to
David Tucker

"David Tucker" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Which ARM micro Maybe you want an ARM with built in USB? How much memory in the system? What is Your quantity? /Ulf Samuelsson Atmel

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

The project is an expantion module to a Game Boy Advance, so the processor and memory are fixed. Basicaly I have 128k of scratch memory, and 2MB of system rom for code. Im looking for initial quantitys of 100, but I will be moving to quantitys of 1,000 after the first run. I found a Philips PDIUSBD11 usb to serial interface for $1.75 in quantitys of 1,000 but it requires an I2C interface. How much effort would it take to support a full i2c interface in a CPLD device? Is there another CPLD that has I2C built in? I have allocated $2.50 in my design for my glue logic and Im not tied to the Altera device yet. Im not happy with an i2c to paralel translation layer in my CPLD device when there are so many paralel usb solutions out there but the price is just not competitive. Im trying to keep my total cost under $15 but so far the USB is the most expencive piece in the design!

David Tucker

Reply to
David Tucker

David Tucker schrieb:

Look at the USBN9603/9604 from National. It costs about the same as the Philips device, but has Microwire

*and* parallel interfaces.
--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates ?
(Sun Microsystems)
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

Ok, I have narowed it down to the National USBN9063/4 or either the Philips PDIUSBD12 or ISP1501. Does anyone have any experience with theas devices?

David Tucker

Reply to
David Tucker