Low cost TCP/IP platform

I'm about to do some work with UPnP. The platform I need is described below. Any
suggestions?

The specs are:
a) Any small embedded microprocessor c/w a multitasking OS and a TCP/IP stack
b) 10BaseT Ethernet interface
c) A few discrete I/O and a 1Wire interface for the Dallas temperature sensor

The development specs are:
i) Any free or open source compiler (C preferred, but will consider C++ or Java)
ii) Open source UPnP stack (SSDP, GENA, HTTP, etc.)

So far, I have found several possible hardware platforms. They are:

Modtronix (http://www.modtronix.com ).
PIC micro, Ethernet, TCP/IP all for about $60.
Good price, but doesn't appear to have a multitasking OS.

Gumstix (http://www.gumstix.com )
CPU, Ethernet, TCP/IP, and Linux for about $160

TINI (http://www.maxim-ic.com/TINIplatform.cfm )
CPU, Ethernet, TCP/IP, and OS for about $110

Gavin

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform
Any suggestions?

http://developer.axis.com

You'll probably have to do the 1-Wire interface on your own, which ever way you
go.

Java)
[...]

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform
Gavin,
      The Zilog Acclaim (ez80F91) has all of this except the
1-wire interface.  The 1-wire can be done in software, or by
using a Maxim bridge to I2C.

http://www.zilog.com/products/family.asp?fam22%6

Dennis,

Any suggestions?
Java)

If sending a reply you will need to remove "7UP".

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform
Any suggestions?
Java)

If you consider TINI (a Java based solution) you should also
check:
JOP - a Java Processor core for FPGAs:
http://www.jopdesign.com /

Martin :)

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform
[-snip-]

What is UPnP?

-Neo

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform

Universal Plug-n-Play, a laughable, silly and ridiculous notion if
there ever was one. I don't know who came up with this. Probably on
a dare.

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform

Is this about USB?
-Neo

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform

[...]

No.  Given the name, it probably should be, because that's what USB is
supposedly about.  But it's not.

Roughly put, it's MS's re-invention of JINI: a TCP/UDP-based protocol
that purports to do for small home-grown networks what SNMP does for
huge corporate ones: make networked gadgets remote-serviceable via
that same network, (somewhat) independent of the vendor.

UPnP is thus among those ports every default installation of Windows
2K or XP will listen to unless firewalled, but hardly anyone actually
uses.  In other words, it's a security breach waiting to happen.

Re: Low cost TCP/IP platform

You make it sound like the security breach has not yet occurred - there
have (IIRC) been several exploits of holes in UPnP on windows.  There have
also been plenty of exploits of UPnP on equipment - things like
UPnP-enabled firewall/routers being so user-friendly that they'll let
anyone configure them, even the bad guys.

Basically, UPnP is yet another wonderful MS triumph of user-friendliness
over user-usefulness.  Make it easier for people who want to install new
equipment but are incapable of reading even a single page "quick start"
guide, regardless of how much easier they make it for unwanted "guests".

Ether I/O
I have found this mod to be very use full, so it mite help you out

Ether I/O 24  from Elexol in Australia

http://www.elexol.com/IO_Modules

Price was $150.00 AU

Re: Ether I/O

there is a whole range of I/O boards for it also.

see:
http://www.dontronics.com/elexol.html

Don...

--