Low-cost soldering & desoldering station suitable surface mount components

I am an engineering student (at Sydney-Australia) working with surface mount
components.I have acces to proper soldering station at uni. but I want to
buy one for
myself to work at home as well.

Can you recommend a particular brand-model-supplier for a soldering &
desoldering station suitable surface mount components?
(Please consider my limited student budget)

Mike

Re: Low-cost soldering & desoldering station suitable surface mount components

I would look for a used (or rebuilt) Hakko 926 or 936 ESD for soldering.
I think the ESD models are Black. Desoldering stations are expensive. I
would buy a hot air gun for this purpose. I have two Hakkos on my bench
which works well for removing passives (one iron on each side).

The only thing I dislike about the Hakkos is that their chisel tips are
not flat enough. One of my colleagues prefers Ungers for exactly this
reason.

You also need to find a stereo microscope and boom. This will cost more
than everything else. My guess is that everything will cost you about
$1000 US for used equipment. I know this is a lot of money for a college
student.

FWIW, I hired a newly minted engineer in part because he had good tech
skills including soldering SMT components. In the job market, sometimes
its what you can do outside the basics of your education that makes the
difference.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

You could find a Weller soldering station for about $130-250 from
www.jameco.com
The lower cost Weller soldering stations would be fine for a college
student.

Eric

Re: Low-cost soldering & desoldering station suitable surface mount components
Sorry just noticed that you wanted a desoldering station as well.....
I'm not sure what program you are in, but a desoldering station is
probably a poor investment for a college student.... a soldering
station will make your life easier if you are building up alot of
projects.

I'm not sure you will utilize a personal desoldering station much.....
plus you can take off most surface mount parts with just a low cost
($100) heat gun.

Once you graduate and have a full time job, they will have equipment
for you to use. so unless you are building up lots of projects at home,
your desoldering station will just collect dust.

My 2cents

Eric

Re: Low-cost soldering & desoldering station suitable surface mount components

Hako stations are locally available and easy to get spares for.

Think wes  sells them

Suposed to be someone in Sydney carrying the xytronic stations but I
haven't been able to find out who it is yet.
http://www.xytronic.com/pi/products.htm
I bought myself a 988D station , use it a lot. Tend to use one of the mini
wave tips most of the time
Can also use Hakko tips.

Links to US site with all tips for xytroniccs
http://heinc.com/xytronic/tips.html

Soldering stations are usually to expensive for student budgets.
Maybe lucky enough to get a student discount.
I know the local Tektronix disributor gives a student/academic discount on
cro's.

Maybe lucky to find something decent second hand,
afaik  no one local sells refurbished  lower end stations.

A lot of distributors in Australia can be a real pain in the butt to deal
with.
They always want to know who you are working for etc

Re: Low-cost soldering & desoldering station suitable surface mount components
On Tuesday, in article

For student get a good iron and look at Chipquik and SMD 2000 from
http://www.chipquik.com/ and possibly a hot air gun.

The desoldering and resoldering kit even includes a hand vacuum pickup tool!
Their kits are general from around 15 to 20 USD to 100 USD from Digikey
CPC and other online and real world stores. Including Mektronics located
in Victoria, Australia.

For a decent iron I use the JBC range AD2200 with replaceable tips that
are kept at HALF power when on the stand and warm up in 2 seconds. The
interchangeable tips come in various sizes down to 0.2mm conical great
for TQFPs and the like. These appear to be available from Mektronics in
Victoria for Australia.

JBC     http://www.jbctools.com /

Mektronics      http://www.mektronics.com.au /

SPI- return zero
Hi

 In 89C51 we are calling SPI(in biuld) inside the Int0 interrupt .. it
return zero. But if use SPI funtion out of interrupt its working fine.
Any one know about this. Please advice on this if you know...

 Thanks

 regards
 kannan

        ______              Kannan.C
Re: Low-cost soldering & desoldering station suitable surface mount components

mount

I'm in the process of putting together a SMT rework station at home to
support my hobby. The access I had at work with high end equipment for 16
years has stopped and I needed something for home. Get a used Metcal solder
system. Easy tip change out and they heat up in about 15 seconds. Ebay has
several new and used Metcals.If you cant swing it then I guess a low wattage
weller will have to do. For the Stereoscope I picked up a new off brand
Chinese unit from eBay. It was $200 which was in my budget and  it did what
I needed. I was supprised at the quality of the unit. I can solder each pin
of a 48 pin TSOP with no problems.You can get used higher quality brands off
of eBay but the condition will vary for about the same cost. Im happy with
my purchase. I'm sure You can find a distributor closer to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category48%741&item75%27263097

See my unit and pictures I made with a plain ole HP R707 camera pointing at
one of the eye pieces. Turned out good!
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/greghol/ebay/scope /

Next on my list is a Hako hot air unit.

Greg