Low cost programmable signal generator

I am a student and electronics is my hobby.

I want to buy a programmable signal (square, sin, triangle, sawtooth)
generator. I want to be able to enter frequency, duty cycle and optionally
signal amplitude, either manually, through the generator's panel keys or
optional computer interface. I want to frequency range 0.1Hz - 100MHz.

Can you recommend a student-priced one ?

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator
<D.N. Scalbile> schreef in bericht

What is the difference between a 100MHz sin and 100MHz triangle?

You'll be happy if you can find a megabuck one.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator

As Frank says, I don't think there are any. The low cost "function"
generators seem to stop at around 20MHz.

It would probably be cheaper to get a low cost function generator
(sine, sawtooth, square) up to 20MHz, and a separate low cost "signal
generator" (sine only) up to 100MHz+.

Of course there are new things coming out all the time, so I may be
out of date. There are reasonably priced DDS chips capable of this, so
perhaps someone has packaged one into a modern, low cost instrument.

I have been looking at the new Tektronix arbitrary function generators

<http://www.tek.com/products/signal_sources/afg3000/

These would do what you want and much more, and are competitively
priced for their product class. But hardly student priced (thousands
of $) :(

--

John Devereux

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator

Same as the difference between a 1Hz sine and 1Hz triangle.

Ian

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator

At least a 200Mhz and a 400MHz overtone, likely more.

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator

You'll have a hard time finding a commercial unit that does 100MHz, and
if you did you can't afford it. Why do you need 100MHz?

2 to 20MHz is about the upper limit for most general purpose function
generators.

The ones with a keypad to enter the frequency will be a DDS (Direct
Digital Synthesis) type.

There are some low cost function gens on eBay like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Function-Signal-Generator-VC2002_W0QQitemZ7557828594QQcategoryZ1504QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
This is by far the best you'll get for that sort of money.

If you want to roll your own for not much cost then you can try the
MAX038 chip for an analog solution, like this one:
http://alternatezone.com/electronics/hsfg.htm

Or there are a few DDS chips around for a digital solution like this
one:
http://alternatezone.com/electronics/dds.htm

Analog devices have "demo boards" for their high frequency DDS chips
that will give you 100MHz if you *really* need sort of frequency, they
cost a couple of hundred dollars and are PC driven only unless you
design you own interface.

At $1300, the new Goodwill GFG-3015 is an excellent example of a low
cost fully optioned function generator:
http://www.emona.com.au/catalogue/Section_7/index.html
Fine for the lab, but not exactly a hobbyist price.

Dave :)

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator
for such a wide range, look at the range of NCO's available, you will
have to also use a micro to drive them and other odds & sods

enjoy

:
: I want to buy a programmable signal (square, sin, triangle, sawtooth)
: generator. I want to be able to enter frequency, duty cycle and
optionally
: signal amplitude, either manually, through the generator's panel keys
or
: optional computer interface. I want to frequency range 0.1Hz - 100MHz.
:
: Can you recommend a student-priced one ?
:
:
:
:

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator
Have a look around on ebay

You can find some good stuff there ,i got me a working hp3325A  ( 0.1hz
20Mhz  sine,square,triang,..)  )once for 100$
Then i bought a gpib interface from NI ,and now im having fun using it.

Johan

Re: Low cost programmable signal generator

aye, i can recommend soemthing up to 44khz, your soundcard, though u
might need a ghz or 2 cpu to keep up. theres plenty of signal generators
around, http://www.google.com.au/search?q=signal%20generator

Site Timeline