Low cost, low power RF for home automation?

Hi group!

I am looking for low cost,  low power RF for home automation.. I have looked
at Bluetooth and ZigBee.
And they seems OK, however Bluetooth is quite power consuming and ZigBee is
not available at the market in large scale.
Do you have other technologies to be mentioned??

Regards
  Mikkel

Re: Low cost, low power RF for home automation?

You could also look at using the license free ISM bands. IIRC these
are at 433MHz and 868MHz in the UK and (I think) 915MHz in the US.
Depending on your volume you can get FCC/CE marked modules for a few
dollars/pounds or if your volumes are high enough you can roll your
own using one of a range of transmitter/receiver chips from the likes
of Atmel or Chipcon.

We've achieved ranges exceeding 200m with this type of RF so you'd
easily be able to cover a house!

Iain

Iain Tebbutt
www.claritech.co.uk - Hardware and Software Design

Re: Low cost, low power RF for home automation?
On 25 Sep 2003 09:25:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Iain Tebbutt)

What type of antenna are you using?

Mike Harding

Site Timeline