looking for Rotary Encoders

RE as in the kind you find on stereo for volume control, they tend to have detents, and also feel "damped" as you turn them.

Having a hard time finding:

- inexpensive

- have switch when you press the knob for user navigation "select"

- 4 wire design, common, 2 direction, 1 switch

- easy to obtain

Also what about a good source of larger 1.5" knobs? nice for navigation.

Can anyone point one out.

Richard.

Reply to
The Mind Factory INC

Yes..

5 pins (the momentary switch is isolated).

Yes, indeed.

1.25" black diamond-knurled aluminum anodized shell okay?

E-mail me and I'll send some data.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Have a look at the Bourns EPS. But I am affraid they are not very cheap. WE now use a replacement (not footprint compatible) but I don't know make/type. Printed on the back:

ddm 427

Drawback of this device is that the shaft is electrically connected to one of the pushbutton contacts. Cost us a few FET's before we found out. No problem when using a plastic knob.

This device uses a custom knob (plastic) of about 1.75".

Stef.

Reply to
Stef

Try COPAL devices - a bit costy, but otherwise very good...

regards

Dejan

Reply to
Dejan Ðurðeniæ

Digikey

Panasonic, CTS,Bourns and others. From $2.50 and up

Reply to
?????

I've wondered why the mechanical-switch ones (rotary quadrature encoders) are two or three dollars (Digikey's 1 or 10 qty) yet the optointerrupter ones (the same thing that there are two of in each of umpteen million computer mice, made and sold at really low cost) start at $20. I would have guess that high-end oscilloscopes and logic analyzers [I recall an HP model where this was the ONLY input device] were not the only application of opto rotary encoders. I've used a video monitor that had one for setup, but thinking about the cost and low usage, I presume it used a cheap, mechanical-switch model. Maybe the OP was only looking at/for the opto ones and not the mechanical-switch ones.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

I've used lots of opto rotary encoders from US Digital. Very well built,better than HP,esp. for install + repairs in products. Cost is relative .Cheap mechanical units aren't made 'forever',opto's usually are.If you factor in cost over limetime of product,optos win everytime. Also opto unit have a broader range of counts per revolution( up to 4000+) mech maybe 256 ? hth jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

Have a look at Alps gear for the rotary encoders with switches. The website is atrocious, but I eventually found something like what you may be looking for. They've got insulated shafts, non-insulated shafts, buttons, etc.

Regards
David Milne
Reply to
dmmilne