Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

I'm looking for PC (WinXP) CAN card recommendations (high and medium
speeds).  Nothing fancy; not sure if I need a software package with it,
I guess that depends on how I could program it without one.  Advice on
what NOT to buy might be helpful as well.

Thanks,

David

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations
http://www.obd2.com

Purchase the OBD2 RAD SDK (software developer's kit). It includes the
programming API which supports communications to any of the EASE vehicle
interfaces... USB, RS232, 802.11b, bluetooth.

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations
I'm currently looking into the PEAK range of CAN card, for around $450AUD
you can get a 2 port CAN card.

It has a basic API which is free and a more substantial one which you have
to pay for( which is more expensive at about $6500AUD.

--

Wing Wong.

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

http://www.can-wiki.info/CanInterfaces

 Heinz

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations
Thanks for the feedback all...

Anyone have experience/feedback on vector:
http://www.vector-informatik.com/english/index.html?../products?canalyzer.html
? I've been looking at the CANalyzer 5.1 and the CANcardXL since last
night.

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

http://www.vector-informatik.com/english/index.html?../products?canalyzer.html

This is a very nice tool - if a bit pricey.  However, where are you based?
The help/about screen contains the following:

"You must NOT use this software in the United States of America".

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

Funny.  I have it running on my system as we speak.  My Help/About box
says "Version 5.1.52(SP2) CANcardX CANcardXL US (c) Copyright
1992-2005 Vector Informatik GmbH" along with our registration number.

So apparently they have different versions for different locales...

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

Any suggestion as to why they would impose such a restriction?

Rob

--
Robert Kaiser                     email: rkaiser AT sysgo DOT com
SYSGO AG                          http://www.elinos.com

Possibly a patent conflict of some sort with a US-registered patent holder??

Rob

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

holder??

Vector seem very heavy with their disclaimers - they really lay it on thick
about how the tool can be used to program CAN devices and as such incorrect
use can be dangerous.  My assumption, which is based on nothing other than
prejudice, was that they are wary of litigation in the US.

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations

http://www.vector-informatik.com/english/index.html?../products?canalyzer.html

If you are not looking for the Mercedes brand:
http://www.can-wiki.info/CanAnalyzers

Heinz

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations
Hi Heinz!

Do you know, whether there exists a homepage similar to the above one
about Flexray?
IB4%m working on my Diploma thesis, where IB4%d like to design a
drive-by-wire architecture, using an embedded PC as a control module.
For communication, FlexRay would fit best, but due to the fact that
Flexray-hardware is hardly available,  IB4%d like to design a system
that can be extended  by Flexray later.  But for that I need
information, how a Flexray controller could possibly can be integrated
later..
Could anyone please give me any advice?

Sandra

Re: Looking for PC CAN card recommendations
On 24 Jun 2005 00:48:53 -0700, "Sandra"

maybe the 2 links help to start:

http://www.flexray.com/index.php

http://www.ixxat.de/introduction_flexray_de,16539,147.html