Looking for Ideas/Opinions

I'm new to microcontrollers, coming from the PC world of embedded
applications.  I have an automotive project that could use some
slimming down both in terms of power usage and econcomics.
Microcontrollers seem to offer the best of everything.  Is it possible
for a microcontroller to achieve all of the following in one
application:

Read incoming GPS information, read incoming RFID serial data, read an
analog transducer, emit sounds (beeps), utilize an LCD/Keypad
combination for interacting with a user and lastly storing the GPS,
RFID and transducer info onto an SD card (removable storage) or better
yet on two SD cards (redundant backup system).

Could anyone suggest what type of microcontroller would best be suited.
 I've been reading up on PIC's, AVR, 8501's, etc.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

William

Re: Looking for Ideas/Opinions

I'm new to microcontrollers, coming from the PC world of embedded
applications.  I have an automotive project that could use some
slimming down both in terms of power usage and econcomics.
Microcontrollers seem to offer the best of everything.  Is it possible
for a microcontroller to achieve all of the following in one
application:

Read incoming GPS information, read incoming RFID serial data, read an
analog transducer, emit sounds (beeps), utilize an LCD/Keypad
combination for interacting with a user and lastly storing the GPS,
RFID and transducer info onto an SD card (removable storage) or better
yet on two SD cards (redundant backup system).

Could anyone suggest what type of microcontroller would best be suited.
 I've been reading up on PIC's, AVR, 8501's, etc.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

WilliamP.S. This might get posted twice - I originally tried posting this
message with google groups but it did not appear to work. Sorry

Re: Looking for Ideas/Opinions

There are 8051 derivatives that would do this with no problem.

Ian
--
Ian Bell

Site Timeline