Looking for Ideas/Opinions

I'm new to microcontrollers, coming from the PC world of embedded applications. I have an automotive project that could use some slimming down both in terms of power usage and econcomics. Microcontrollers seem to offer the best of everything. Is it possible for a microcontroller to achieve all of the following in one application:

Read incoming GPS information, read incoming RFID serial data, read an analog transducer, emit sounds (beeps), utilize an LCD/Keypad combination for interacting with a user and lastly storing the GPS, RFID and transducer info onto an SD card (removable storage) or better yet on two SD cards (redundant backup system).

Could anyone suggest what type of microcontroller would best be suited. I've been reading up on PIC's, AVR, 8501's, etc.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

William

Reply to
swaxolez

I'm new to microcontrollers, coming from the PC world of embedded applications. I have an automotive project that could use some slimming down both in terms of power usage and econcomics. Microcontrollers seem to offer the best of everything. Is it possible for a microcontroller to achieve all of the following in one application:

Read incoming GPS information, read incoming RFID serial data, read an analog transducer, emit sounds (beeps), utilize an LCD/Keypad combination for interacting with a user and lastly storing the GPS, RFID and transducer info onto an SD card (removable storage) or better yet on two SD cards (redundant backup system).

Could anyone suggest what type of microcontroller would best be suited. I've been reading up on PIC's, AVR, 8501's, etc.

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,

WilliamP.S. This might get posted twice - I originally tried posting this message with google groups but it did not appear to work. Sorry

Reply to
William Lane

There are 8051 derivatives that would do this with no problem.

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to