Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030

Subject says it all - would like to hear from people using the SUZAKU
modules, how well they work, what toolchain / development hardware you
use, etc.

http://www.atmark-techno.com/en/products/suzaku

Especially interested in learning what the workflow is for iterating on
a design that has an embedded MicroBlaze, does the inclusion of the
soft-core CPU add a lot of turnaround time during recompilation of a
design into a bitstream?  Or is that part mostly static and unlikely to
slow down debugging & iteration.

And any pointers to appropriate JTAG interfaces for USB2 or Ethernet
would be appreciated too.

Rob

--

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030

I was also looking at that boards, but not purchased yet. I like the
uClinux implementation (japanese are crazy about linux) and VMware
development tools encapsulation. I would also like to hear a response
from the users.
Otherwise for JTAG use Xilinx PlatformCable USB, it is worth 150$.

Cheers,

Guru

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030
we just bought a Suzaku SZ130.
One of our students builds a simple power supply and adapter card. As
soon as he finishes we will make our first real experience with the
SZ130 Board.
We are working with ISE & EDK (8.2i) under a debian linux environment.
We only have an old Parallel Cable III, so we have to provide our
Adapter card with a a 2.5V Level converter for the Suzaku JTAG.
Rob already is a member in the Suzaku mailing list. If you want to know
more about Suzaku and its users, subscribe to that list via the Suzaku
homepages.

If you want to use the I/O pins of the Suzakus, you really need the EDK,
because they are not available as GPIOs in the standard configuration.
I'm already preparing a design modification for our student, but besides
that want to build a LPT port later. Anyone has a parport driver for
microblaze? :-)

best regards
   Eilert

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030

I bought an SZ010 board for use in a PVR project, thinking the EDK/Linux
design would provide a fast development route.  In the end this proved
impractical, simply because uCLinux running on a Microblaze (which maxes out
at about 52MHz in this case) doesn't provide good enough network
performance - from memory, an ftp test was clocking in at around 3 mbits/s.

Unless you're prepared to rip everything up and start again, which is what I
had to do, you may be better off spending a bit more to get a V-series
board.  These have a hard, 270MHz PPC405 built into the FPGA, which ought to
help with the performance issues.  That said, being forced to design from
the ground up was certainly a learning experience for all things MAC and
ethernet related.  :-)

On the JTAG side, the cheapest/easiest approach is to get a cheap parallel
III compatible cable (e.g. the Digilent one) and make an adaptor.  There is
no connector on the board, so you'll be soldering something on there
whatever you do.  Interfacing to the FPGA requires 2.5V, as noted elsewhere,
but the flash interface is 3.3V, which means you can wire straight up
without a level conversion.

Cheers,
Dave

.

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030
Hi Dave,

The Suzaku's interface to the off-chip MAC-PHY has no DMA capability,
which goes a long way to explaining the poor ethernet throughput you
describe.  With the Xilinx EMAC, and DMA, checksum offload and all bells
and whistles we've hit 50mbit/sec with MicroBlaze / uClinux systems in
netperf tests.

Just to put the record straight...

Regards,

John

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030

out
mbits/s.

Yes, my reply was overly simplistic and skipped over the middle ground for
no reason other than it being what I did.

The main point for the OP is that the Suzaku requires more effort than just
bolting in application-specific extras.  Having not used the EDK before and
really not requiring Linux for anything other than pinching the network
stack, I personally found it easier to start from scratch.

Cheers,
Dave

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030

Hi John,

That is a very good performance!
Is it possible that you publish the design on the web to avoid
building from a scratch?

cheers,

Guru

Re: Looking for experiences with SUZAKU SZ010/SZ030
I have the Suzaku-S Board SZ030_U00 (With Spartan-3-XCS1000, FLASH:8MB
DRAM:16MB )

I would like to have your feedbacks about your experiences with that Kin
of Boards "Suzaku-S".

my gaol is to control with SZ030 an external Hardware, so i´m plannini
to send via Ethernet a request(ex: 00011010010101) to VHDL-Code (that
will Implement in Spartan-3) to make a specified Action...

the Question is: is there any Documentation that explain how will the fe
Bytes i will send via Ethernet be transfered to the FPGA-Spartan-3... ?
how can i control the Information i want to send to the FPGA(spartan-3
via Ethernet?

is there any Projekts i can learn from ?
has anyone worked on a similar projekts..?

until now i still have many Problems with EDK/XPS. to creat m
Projekt...?

i will be pleased to heare about your experiments with that Kind of Board
and how to build a Projekt for Suzaku-S Boards with EDK-Tool.?

many thanks
Eddy

Site Timeline