Looking for examples of conduction cooling in commercial applications

Can someone provide an example of a conduction cooling (ala the IEEE standard) thats has been used in a commercial application? That is, used a non-military, non-governmental application. I've been in the embedded computing buis. for some years and I've never heard of one. It appears to be too expensive and too long to market.

F.

Reply to
Falstaff

I've seen it used in avionics with single sided pcbs mounted either side of an aluminium plate and then the plate wedged into an aluminium box using metal clamps. Sometimes air is forced along channels on the outside of the box which have fins in them.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Whaddayamean, "an example"? *All* cooling of devices in closed metal housings without a fan is, entirely or partly, by conduction. If the device is potted, it's cooled completely by conduction.

Every ECU in your car's passenger compartment, if it's not mounted in the AC ventilation shafts, is cooled (or heated, depending on environmental conditions...) by conduction.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Specifically I meant the IEEE 1101 standard for 3u and 6U eurocards which are commonly used in Military/Aero applications. Abstract and standard here:

92

However, my scope includes conduction cooled embedded computing products w/ heat loads greater than ~4-5 Watts that operate in extended temperature environments

Reply to
Falstaff

Is that commercial avionics or Military? I need pointers to products used in non-Mil applications.

with single sided pcbs mounted either side

Reply to
Falstaff

Commercial, specifically business jets, but the 737 system also uses a similar method. It is also used in military applications but I shall be rather non-specific about which ones.

Go to

and endure the horrible flash interface to get to the Enhanced Vision System section. The system consists of two parts, one of which is fitted above the pilot's head and the other in the avionics bay. The avionics bay is mostly cold but can get hot and the system must run reliably at +70C and the conduction cooling remains effective at that temperature. The overhead unit has similar temperature requirements but, in reality, if the vicinity of the pilot's head is at 70C then he has bigger problems than whether his head-up display is still working.

Reply to
Tom Lucas