Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

For my current book project, I'm looking for a few stories - four or
five at MOST - from people who entered embedded engineering through
higher education, but via nontraditional paths (i.e. something other
than BSEE, BSc, comp sci/electronics/etc. sorts of majors). For
example, I've heard several stories of people who started life with
advanced degrees in classical languages, but migrated into engineering
without actually sitting through a single electronics or software
class.

I'm _not_ looking for people who got into engineering without first
acquiring a degree; I have plenty of those stories already.

Please email me if you have an interesting tale. Remuneration
(commensurate with my poverty ;) is offered.

No urban legends or fiction, please - only personal experience. Your
name will not be used, and you will have the opportunity to review my
summary/paraphrasing of your story before it goes to publication.

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

In my previous job, there was an accountant who turned programmer.
*SHE* migrated from accounting after helping out on a short-staffed
project. Her code was so well written that my boss decided that she
should be in the engineering department instead of accounting.

But her work was with the GUI client and not embedded stuff so it's not
what you're asking. But I thought I'd mention it since it's rare enough
to find a woman in my department but a certified accountant?!!

She ended up marrying the engineer in the cubicle next to her and got
promoted to team/project leader.

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds
Hello,

Most careers go the other way. I have encountered several people where
it went like this: Analog engineering -> digital -> software -> sales.

Cool. On my first job I also had my first experience with Marketing. She
picked apart my design, criticized this, that and the other thing. Now
we are married for a long time :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

Yes, but was she right ?

I suppose that means you shouldn't risk answering the above question... :)

-jg

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds
Hello Jim,

Mostly yes. It was about the position of controls, their sensitivity,
ranges. Stuff that we had arbitrarily set and knew that it would need
fine-tuning.

Oh, she'd be cool with that. When it comes to the schedules of projects
on the honey-do list that is a completely different matter.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

Well at least you knew what you were getting yourself into when you
married her! ;)

Regards,
Mark

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

The criticism was her practicing to be a wife?

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds
Hello Everett,

No, she didn't know that yet at that point ;-)

She doesn't criticize much, except when the steaks from the barbie
aren't exactly done "as ordered" or if I made a serious mess somewhere.
Like in the garage.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds

When you say "team/project leader" are you refering to the company or home
life?

Rob

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds
I got into electronics by building some of my own electronic
intrumentation while I was completing my Ph.D. in physical chemistry.

E-mail me for more detail - my e-mail address is real.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Re: Looking for embedded engineers with nontraditional backgrounds
Hi Bill,

Thanks, but this one borders on being mainstream :) I'm still collating