Looking for controller, operating system, and network stack for an embedded system

I'm working on a project at work that requires a new controller, operating system, a network stack, and a myriad of services (ssh, telnet, web, etc...). My desires are as follows:

  • 200-600Mhz operation (e.g. PowerPC 440EP and ARM XScale)
  • Instruction cache desirable
  • As many GPIOs as possible
  • At least 1 I2C bus
  • Ethernet
  • At least 16Mb of externally addressable address space
  • SDRAM Controller
  • LCD Controller
  • USB Client and host (1.1 is OK)

I've already taken a close look at the PowerPC 440EP and the Intel XScale series of CPUs, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious or relevant.

Regarding the software stack, I need (in pieces or as a complete package):

  • An operating system (have looked at ThreadX, MontaVista Linux, uCOS-II, eCOS, QNX, LynxOS)
  • A network stack, BSD API
  • Telnet server, DHCP client, DNS client, SSH server, HTTP (including PHP), FTP server, TFTP server,
  • Simple windowing API for the LCD screen (TinyX or a custom library is OK)
  • Drivers for the aforementioned hardware components
  • Flash file system
  • Remote firmware update capabilities using flash parts
  • IPMI 1.5 or higher stack desirable - a bonus

Commercial, fee - does not matter provided that it meets our requirements. If you're a commercial company and have a product relevant to the above, please email me with details.

Thanks!

-->Neil

Reply to
Neil Bradley

If you can live with an Intel/PC104/Industrial PC solution take a look at:

I can highly recommend it (I have no connection with them). Client side USB will be the problem with this solution but I get around this using an I2C USB chip.

Regards, Richard.

Richard

Do you want an embedded computer, or an embedded system, if you get my meaning?

In our experience (we got bitten by the Intel SA-1110 withdrawal), CPU chips with integral LCD controllers are mostly designed for PDAs and tend to have short lifetimes for industrial products. The combination of on-chip Ethernet and LCD is also rare. For industrial use, the combination of CPU+Ethernet with an external LCD controller seems to give a hardware solution with lower product lifetime costs.

Assuming that your response times are modest, you can always use an on-board bus to link the central controller to slaves for GPIO. Single chip 60MHz ARMs are cheap these days. Such an architecture also allows you to decouple the fast/hard real-time I/O from the nightmares of predicting worst case interrupt latency and jitter on a SDRAM/cached/MMUed/multitasking *computer*.

Perhaps I'm just feeling grumpy this morning. More caffeine needed!

Stephen

-- Stephen Pelc, snipped-for-privacy@INVALID.mpeltd.demon.co.uk MicroProcessor Engineering Ltd - More Real, Less Time

133 Hill Lane, Southampton SO15 5AF, England tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691 web:
- free VFX Forth downloads
Reply to
Stephen Pelc