looking for a god editor - Page 2

Re: looking for a god editor

At $269 for the download version, its not exactly free is it?

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: looking for a god editor

Sounds elitist to me. I'm a software developer as well, but from an
engineering background, so the old saw about one tool to do one job well
and write/find another when you need a different tool has always seemed
right on target to me. Such tools tend to be more reliable, less bug
prone and easier to maintain than their more complex cousins.

dilettante: "A dabbler in an art or a field of knowledge"

Well perhaps, depending on whether you think emacs is a field of
knowledge worth pursuing. IMO, emacs, like vi and ed, all belong to
another age of computing, though vi can be usefull at times because of
it's speed of loading.

What exactly are the features in emacs that you like that aren't
provided by other editors, other than comfortable familiarity ?.

Chris

Re: looking for a god editor

I find Emacs to be the best editor I've ever used for raw text entry; text
streams straight from my brain into a buffer.  Minor typos along the way
(transposed letters or words) are fixed with one simple keyboard command.
Text is wrapped / justified just as simply.  If I want simple indentation,
the text mode figures it out and doesn't fight me.  I've never found a
better tool to allow me to do rough drafts of text documents (eg, TeX
papers, ascii README files, etc).

Emacs also interacts nicely with other processes on the system, spawning
external programs that it controls on my behalf.  When I was a grad student
I spent hours using Emacs as the user interface to Lisp, Scheme, ML, and two
different theorem provers (HOL88, HOL90, and PVS).

Re: looking for a god editor

Well I can't talk to emacs specifically, but I (and many other software
engineers I know) use gvim or emacs.  The defining characteristic of the
emacs and gvim users that I know, however, is that they are all
touch-typists.  Not having to take your eyes off the screen and not
having to keep reaching for a mouse saves a *lot* of time.

That aside, I find that most of the emacs and gvim users also tend to be
very likely to use things like complex regexps when doing search and/or
replace operations.

Another thing which isn't something that could not be done with other
editors, but which both gvim and emacs make easy is customizing the way
in which the editor works.  One feature I have made use of several times
is the ability to generate a customized syntax highlighting scheme (I
have one for editing an unusual document format that I have to use,
another for editing IDL templates and one for gcc .md files).

One final thing to consider here is that if one chooses to become
familiar with emacs or gvim then the fact that both are available on
pretty much every operating system going means that it's possible to be
very productive in a multiplatform environment.  I regularly use Linux
and Windows and having an identical editor on both is *very* helpful.

Regards,
Dave

Re: looking for a god editor
On 10 Sep 2003 08:31:58 -0600

Im a professional software developer and I dont require anything more than a
good search and replace facility. maybe regexes.

Each to their own (as long as its vi)

--
Spyros lair: http://www.mnementh.co.uk/ ||||   Maintainer: arm26 linux

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.

Re: looking for a god editor
geschrieben:

[...]

take a look an proton -  http://www.meybohm.de/ -  this one's really
smart, fast AND free!

Manfred

Re: looking for a god editor

Textpad, (http://www.textpad.com /) offers a host of features, including
syntax highlighting for a host of languages. Templates, libraries and
dictionaries are available as well. The laerning curve is pretty easy
too. I think it's about $40, shareware.

Re: looking for a god editor

Maybe it's more like a freebsd-ish  "make world" ..

Re: looking for a god editor

(X)Emacs.

Re: looking for a god editor
On 2 Sep 2003 11:55:56 GMT, Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Ditto. If you're looking to use this on MS Windows, see:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/big.html

Haven't used the Windows port of XEmacs, but it's not been around for
anywhere near as long as the port of GNU Emacs so may not be as
stable.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Re: looking for a god editor

www.ultraedit.com    Cheap and nice
www.slickedit.com    Expensive and very nice

I've used both and like both, but Ultraedit works fine for just a
fraction of the cost.

--
Greg Deuerling
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

http://www.xemacs.org /

http://www.vim.org/download.php

Best regards,

Mostafa

Mostafa Kassem
http://www.hasata.ca
Reply to: M DOT Kassem AT ieee DOT org

Re: looking for a god editor

A nice and free one: Programmer's File Editor.
www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe

Meindert

Re: looking for a god editor
Editor for windows ?
It's free !!!!

http://www.crimsoneditor.com /

Re: looking for a god editor

If you're willing to leave the gods out of this, you could use
nedit (www.nedit.org) as a text editor.

It depends on your platform.

--
    mac the naf

Re: looking for a god editor
On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:03:14 +0200, "Frank Mikkelsen"

There is programmers notepad on sourceforge. This project is quite
active, hence you might have a chance to get your favourate features
in this editor.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: looking for a god editor

Notepad ?

Rene

Re: looking for a god editor

Nah.

EDLIN ! ;-)

Ian

Re: looking for a good editor

 We used CrEDIT, and ConTEXT - both of which are good, but they
have become 'freezeware' as the Authors have moved onto more
interesting things...

 For replacements, so far, Syn Editor on sourceforge looks
a good replacement.
Pluses :
 The team there have added some features
that were in CrEDIT/ConTEXT, and more are comming.
 Latest version has a wrapper, that seems to launch/capture 16 bit
apps fine on Win2000, which could be relevent to this forum.
 Includes find in files.

 Minuses : Highlighters are not in user-files (comming),
and the tools/project/profiles scheme is a tad convoluted.

-jg

Re: looking for a god editor
I always liked CodeWrite from Premia.  See
http://www.codewright.com/cwhome75.asp

Very powerful editor that can be used for a wide variety of languages,
compilers, etc.
Template editing, chroma coding, brace matching, GREP, etc.

-ZO