Looking for a device that can...

I'm looking for the smallest embedded device I can find that can do:

  1. Infrared sensor
  2. Wireless connection (can connect to an G router, for example, I'll have to check the distance that might cover, otherwise maybe N will have to be used)
  3. DHCP
  4. Low power consumption
  5. User solar power to save battery life?

At least have a couple out of 5, and I can try to work on the others.

I'll need the infrared sensor (beam break detector) to trigger either a single UDP packet or TCP (handshake) and all.

A tall order? ;-)

How can I get started? Any ideas?

I need perhaps wireless connectivity up to like 100 feet to start, and might also need a strong enough signal to go through a few solid walls... Bluetooth is out...

Reply to
Marco Shaw

A 802.11x transceiver will be relatively power hungry. If you use a different wireless solution and have a receiver box that does the IP networking for you, it will be a lot easier to get the power requirement way down. Wireless security sensors run for years on battery - sometimes even longer than the shelf life of the battery, and range is much better than 802.11x. You could use an OTS transmitter/receiver (check Honeywell, GE, Visonic, or even X-10) and hook it in to whatever networking solution you want... If there is more than one wireless beam per site, I bet it would also make it more cost efficient this way.

Reply to
Anders

Thanks! Can you tell me more about "OTS"? I can't seem to get on the right track with either google.com or deja.com...

Marco

Reply to
Marco Shaw

OTS ; Off-The-Shelf Stuff already designed and ready to buy and use.. Kinda like "Prêt-à-porter" ;)

Reply to
Anders