Long-range RF transceiver modules...

I hope this is the right forum to ask this... :-)

I'm doing some preliminary work (thrashing around...?) on a project that will be set up as a wireless network. I need a transceiver that will operate with an approximately 10,000-foot range. From what I've been able to determine, the best way to get that kind of range is with a Spread-Spectrum system. Unfortunately, the only ones I've been able to find (MaxStream and AeroComm) only support 8-bit data transfers... and I'm looking at using the 9-bit addressing mode in 8051-series microcontrollers to do module-recognition.

Can someone point me in the right direction, to find wireless modules that don't limit the design to simple serial data...? Linx modules look good, but they don't have the kind of range I'm looking for, even when boosted with an RF amplifier.

Reply to
Len Lekx

Why not use escape sequences (like SNMP) instead of 9 bit addressing used by 8051 family. Only a very few 8051 families (FX) actually have address recognition ability.

Here is another link with SS technology.

Scott

Because I'm not a very sophisticated programmer, so I like to keep things straightforward. :-)

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Len Lekx

Implementing escape sequences is much easier than you would think.

Here is an some text from this link:

The asynchronous serial channel to be used must be configured for eight bit character size, no parity, and one stop.

A specific binary code called FEND (Frame End, hexadecimal value=C0) is reserved to define a frame boundary. Should this same code occur in the data message to be transferred across the channel controlled under SLIP, then an escape sequence is used so that the message byte will not be confused for a FEND. This escape sequence, involves replacing the message hexadecimal C0 code with a two byte sequence FESC, TFEND. FESC (Frame Escape) is the binary code hexadecimal DB, and TFEND (Transposed FEND) is binary code hexadecimal DC. Likewise, if the FESC character ever appears in the user data, it is replaced with the two character sequence FESC, TFESC (Transposed FESC). The TFESC is the binary code hexadecimal DD. The following table clarifies this.

ABBREVIATION DESCRIPTION HEX.VALUE

FEND Frame end C0 FESC Frame escape DB TFEND Transposed frame end DC TFESC Transposed frame escape DD

As characters arrive at the SLIP receiver, they are appended to a buffer containing the current frame. Receiving a FEND marks the end of the frame, and consequently, succeeding bytes are considered part of the next frame. Receipt of a FESC code puts the SLIP receiver into "escaped mode", causing it to translate a following TFESC or TFEND back to a FESC or FEND code, appending it to the buffer, and resuming it's normal state. Receipt of any byte other than TFESC or TFEND while in escaped mode, is an error. No translation occurs, and the SLIP receiver leaves escaped mode. A TFESC or TFEND received while not in escaped mode is treated as an ordinary character and stored accordingly. Reception of consecutive FEND characters, causes no action to be taken (i.e. is not interpreted as zero length frames). An example of a typical SLIP frame is shown below. The message consists of the string DA,C4,C0,C5,DB,20,BD,DC,DD. The SLIP frame will be:-

,DA,C4,,,C5,,,20,BD,DC,DD, ==> C0,DA,C4,DB,DC,C5,DB,DD,20,BD,DC,DD,C0

Reply to
Scott

Check the SS-200 at . The data format can be selected as either 8 or 9 bit.

Disclosure: This is a client.

Thad

Reply to
Thad Smith