Linear, Low-Cost, 0-250F Temperature Solution?

Requirements:

*0-250F Temperature *25PSIG Pressure *Possible flammable gas *Must be in probe form *0-5V or 1-5V output *+-1.0 degree C accuracy

Ideally, I would like to go with a LM34 semiconductor or equivilent temperature device in a probe configuration. I like the 0-5V linear output, cost, and simplicity.

I can't find any semiconductor temperature probes available, though. Does any one know of any products like this available? Would it be feasable to make one? Where would I be able to find a probe enclosure?

The device it will connect to in the field only has a 0-5V input and 12V supply. The temperature range can be adjusted in software, but the hardware cannot be changed.

Reply to
eeboarder

You'd be best to use a platinum RTD probe with a signal conditioner and possibly an approved intrinsic safety block, depending on the class of the environment and consequences of failure. If it's just one or two, just buy the bits off the shelf and be done with it.

You could also use a thermocouple, but it would be unlikely you'd get system accuracy as good as +/-°C, however the response speed would be much faster.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I'd also add that his specifications and "low cost" are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I found an LM34 with a range of -50F to 300F and a linear 0-5V output for $14 in a TO-92 3-wire package. Would it be possible to insert this item into a thermowell with some epoxy?

Less than $100 is the goal. I definitely don't want to spend $300 an RTD and transmitter.

Reply to
eeboarder

If it's actually going into a potentially explosive environment, be prepared to spend at least that much for a hazardous area certified transmitter.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Good advice, that. A Pt100 RTD probe has to be the best fit for that spec. With a constant current source [1], it's easy to linearise, and there's no cold junction. 3-wire and 4-wire compensation is a piece of cake...

[1] Which may help re the explosive atmosphere...

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

I don't know if it is a piece of cake, at least it would be difficult for me to develop it myself :-) , but I have managed to implement a 3-wire measurement with the AD7793. If you need to convert it to a digital signal, this works very good:

See page 29 for an example. Absolute accuracy is about 0.1°C with a good reference resistor and a good PT100 sensor. For +/-1°C the less expensive AD7792 should work and a less expensive reference resistor.

--
Frank Buss, fb@frank-buss.de
Frank Buss

What about a K-type thermocouple in conjunction with a MAX6675 ? The MAX6675 takes care of all the analogue stuff, and gives out a digital reading through an SPI bus.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus