Lethal _CONFIG word; PIC 16F628

I tried to program PIC16F628 Configuration word with x3F10:
Program Memory Protection OFF
Data Code Protection OFF
LVP OFF
BODEN OFF
MCLRE OFF
!PWRTE OFF
WDTE OFF
INTRC osc.; I/O function on both RA6 and RA7
and apparently something broke.  Programming failed at addr x0000
and now the chip cannot be programmed, regardless of the value of
_CONFIG.  That chip and programmer worked fine the day before and
have worked fine for many months.  Programmer diags. show nothing
wrong.  Indeed, I was able to burn other programs into other 628's
- _CONFIG != x3F10 - but one try with that value killed those chips
too.  Subsequently erasing these chips proceeds w/o incident and
programmer tells me they're erased, but they refuse to accept
programming.

I know about the 628's HVP problem regarding RB4 and wired that pin
to Vss through 2K long ago.

I find nothing in the book of words that warns of lethal or unsupported
combinations of _CONFIG arguments.  Did I miss something?

Site Timeline