Lethal _CONFIG word; PIC 16F628

I tried to program PIC16F628 Configuration word with x3F10: Program Memory Protection OFF Data Code Protection OFF LVP OFF BODEN OFF MCLRE OFF !PWRTE OFF WDTE OFF INTRC osc.; I/O function on both RA6 and RA7 and apparently something broke. Programming failed at addr x0000 and now the chip cannot be programmed, regardless of the value of _CONFIG. That chip and programmer worked fine the day before and have worked fine for many months. Programmer diags. show nothing wrong. Indeed, I was able to burn other programs into other 628's

- _CONFIG != x3F10 - but one try with that value killed those chips too. Subsequently erasing these chips proceeds w/o incident and programmer tells me they're erased, but they refuse to accept programming.

I know about the 628's HVP problem regarding RB4 and wired that pin to Vss through 2K long ago.

I find nothing in the book of words that warns of lethal or unsupported combinations of _CONFIG arguments. Did I miss something?

Reply to
Michael