LCD Simulation in KEIL

I want to simulate LCD display (16/2) on Keil. I downloaded a DLL file but cant understand the instruction or how to use it in my program Can anybody help me

Thank you

NITIN

Reply to
Nitin Skandan

I can only ask you why don't you make a prototype, and try it on real hardware?

I always develop using prototypes because it takes pretty long time to get to know simulations and ...

You can get any LCD 16x2 with same controller on it and connect it to your microcontroller.

I know you asked how to simulate it in Keil, I don't know that.

Best regards, Mickey.

Reply to
MArk

LCD simulator DLL was written by Michael Baldischweiler, so it's not a surprise that instructions are in German ;). On the other side, from his site (

) you can also download english version, as well as some other usefull simulation DLL's.

Homer

Reply to
Homer Simpson

Thank you for the suggestions.

We dont have an LCD prototype right now thats why i have decided to go with simulation system.

NITIN

Reply to
Nitin Skandan

I had a similar problem last year - Needed to have a custom LCD panel built for a feature telephone I was designing, and the schedule did not allow for waiting on the panel.

I designed a LCD editor/simulator for small LCD panels (up to 1024 segments). This allows you to visually lay out the LCD on the PC screen, and to emulate it over a serial connection. It also automatically bulds LCD mapping tables and character generators for you if you need them.

The serial connection uses a very simple 1-byte command structure, which provides LCD updates of a segment with one byte (two bytes when the top

5-bits of the segment number change), as well as ASCII debug output to a text window, and logging up to 31 software "events" by sending a single byte.

This worked very well - I had the phone up and running on the actual hardware long before the panel arrived (I didn't have a spare serial port, so I just turned off the LCD controller and used an I/O bit that would have gone to the LCD as a "bit bash" serial output port - the emulator does not require the target to receive any data from it,

I think this is a better approach, because it allows you to develop and test on the actual system hardware - when the panel finally did arrive, we dropped it into the system, replaced the "serial " LCD driver code with code to talk to the real LCD controller, and there were no surprises, the system came up with very little difficulty.

It had the added benefit that I was able to delay finalizing the panel until I had a base system running with the "virtual panel" and could let my customer see it's "look and feel" and provide some feedback on the final panel.

If you already have your panel designed, it probably would not take long to build a simple emulation. If you are interested in my tool, I have since added it to my LABTOOLS package. Contect me for more information.

Regards,

--
Dunfield Development Systems          http://www.dunfield.com
Low cost software development tools for embedded systems

But you should know the controller on LCD module, and you can get any LCD module with same controller they usually have the same interface.

I'm now working with LCD module with HD44780 controller and there is probably 100s of LCD modules with the same controller, and they have similar interface (4 or 8 lines).

Reply to
Mickey