LCD mounting

Hello group,
I've been trying to mount a HD44780 compatible, 16x2 character, LCD
module inside of an ABS plastic enclosure.  The cutout that I made
(using a hacksaw and a file) for the LCD is not pretty.  So, what is
the best way to mount a LCD display like this inside of an enclosure?
Is there a commercially available LCD bezel for a 16x2 character
display?  (No luck on google)
Thanks for your help,
Matt Meerian

Re: LCD mounting
In the past I've used a full size layout of the display tack glued(UHU
stick) to the case and carefully drilled the 4 holes for mounting. Drill 4
'corner' holes for the display and cut out the 'rectangle' for the display.
I use the 4-40 post hardware found on all LPT and COM ports as 'standoffs'.
Either use a PVC sheet protector or a thin 'plexiglas' as a cover for the
LCD wedged between the LCD and the case. Patience is the key to getting it
right and looking good.Slow and steady !

hth
jay

Re: LCD mounting

I am not aware of an off-the-shelf bezel. However, FWIW there are two
ways I work with ABS for big, highly visible holes like this:

1. Score the outline with an Exacto (on the outside of the box) - the
deeper the better. Just keep running around the outline with your
blade. Drill a row of holes in the center of the scrap portion. Use
needle-nose pliers to bend the plastic inwards (i.e. grip from
inside). The plastic will stretch and break along the score mark and
leave a clean-edge hole visible from the outside. Since it will
whiten, you will want to run the blade around the inside of the cut
edge.

2. (Better, but requires more practice to get it looking good and may
be difficult to get enough access) - Use a nibbling tool.

Re: LCD mounting
On 14 Jan 2004 07:34:42 -0800, the renowned snipped-for-privacy@terraworld.net

Yes, there are. PRD Products is one supplier and it's okay for small
quantity products, and they are available through distribution. I
prefer a one-piece overlay that is flat and sealed and covers the
whole panel.

http://www.proud.com/led_lcd.html

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: LCD mounting

The slickest way to do it is with a CNC machine. Maybe you can find a
machinist or other hobbyist near you who has one. I built a small one and it
makes cutouts in plastic boxes awfully simple now. I recommend it as a
"must-do" project for any serious electronics/model builder hobbyist.

Re: LCD mounting
http://www.rittal.com

look under their electronics enclosures

Re: LCD mounting