LCD Menu Example

I am writing a program that needs to be menu driven using a 16x2 LCD Display. I have three buttons for control SCROLL UP, SCROLL DOWN, and ENTER. From these buttons the operator will be able to scroll through menus and sub menus and select different functions and alter set points. I don't have any experience in using a menu like this. Is there any example of C-CODE or suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

A state machine usually maps this type of application in a fairly straightforward manner.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Yup, that and some appropriate data structures.

Troll around the web and you'll probably find some dubious sample code. I doubt anyone with a commercial-quality project is willing to let it go.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

And if I might add, this is the sort of module that you will have to support forever. So it might be best just to bite the bullet, code it up yourself and understand it inside and out.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

That's going to be a pretty tough user interface to both design and use with only the 3 keys. Would be possible to add left / right and maybe "Home" or "Start"?

Reply to
JohnH

with

or

Oh please... 3 buttons is enough. No doupt this is a uni project or something like it, they always seem to have these 3 button 2x16 line LCD on a micro. Back in my day we had to use asm, and my day was only 1999 ;-P

Reply to
Dan

with

or

The last time I did this I based it on the 3 button interface on my Garmin Etrex - 3 buttons: Page, + and -

This was used to control a simple test instrument.

If you look on my web site you can see how to contatc me to ask for the source code.

Michael Kellett

MK

We, have four keys at our uni. Plus a 160x120 graphical LCD. We have the option of programming in C or ASM. But even in ASM we're calling C function. Actually I the Lab co-ordinator for this particular lab and my student are working on these as I type. I'd better get back to work.

*sigh* :P
--
Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Wing Fong Wong

Aubrey Kagan wrote quite a long piece about hierarchical menus in embedded systems for Circuit Cellar in November 2003. He also references the above link in the article.

Regards David

Reply to
dmm

There is a very nice simple menuing system in one of the reference design applications on Byte Craft's website. The menuing system is in the code on the website.

It also shows how to play a wav file through a small embedded processor.

w..

Jim wrote:

Reply to
Walter Banks