LCD Menu Example

    I am writing a program that needs to be menu driven using a 16x2
  LCD Display. I have three buttons for control SCROLL UP, SCROLL DOWN,
  and ENTER. From these buttons the operator will be able to scroll
through menus and sub menus and select different functions and alter set
points. I don't have any experience in using a menu like this. Is there
any example of C-CODE or suggestions on how to go about this.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Re: LCD Menu Example

A state machine usually maps this type of application in a fairly
straightforward manner.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: LCD Menu Example
On Tue, 17 May 2005 23:59:15 GMT, the renowned Rich Webb

Yup, that and some appropriate data structures.

Troll around the web and you'll probably find some dubious sample
code. I doubt anyone with a commercial-quality project is willing to
let it go.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: LCD Menu Example

And if I might add, this is the sort of module
that you will have to support forever.  So it
might be best just to bite the bullet, code it
up yourself and understand it inside and out.

Re: LCD Menu Example

That's going to be a pretty tough user interface to both design and use with
only the 3 keys.  Would be possible to add left / right and maybe "Home" or
"Start"?

Re: LCD Menu Example

with
or

Oh please... 3 buttons is enough.
No doupt this is a uni project or something like it, they always seem to
have these 3 button 2x16 line LCD on a micro. Back in my day we had to use
asm, and my day was only 1999 ;-P

Re: LCD Menu Example
We, have four keys at our uni. Plus a 160x120 graphical LCD. We have the
option of programming in C or ASM. But even in ASM we're calling C
function. Actually I the Lab co-ordinator for this particular lab and my
student are working on these as I type. I'd better get back to work.
*sigh* :P

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: LCD Menu Example

with
or

The last time I did this I based it on the 3 button interface on my Garmin
Etrex -  3 buttons: Page, + and -

This was used to control a simple test instrument.

If you look on my web site you can see how to contatc me to ask for the
source code.

Michael Kellett

www.mkesc.co.uk

Re: LCD Menu Example

http://archive.chipcenter.com/eexpert/rashby/rashby056.html

Aubrey Kagan wrote quite a long piece about hierarchical menus in embedded
systems
for Circuit Cellar in November 2003. He also references the above link in the
article.

Regards
David

Re: LCD Menu Example
There is a very nice simple menuing system in one of the reference design
applications on
Byte Craft's website. The menuing system is in the code on the website.

http://www.bytecraft.com/cop8flash.html

It also shows how to play a wav file through a small embedded processor.

w..