LCD connector adapter

Is there some sort of adapter available for an Sony ACX705AKM-7 LCD
connector ? It's a 22 pin flat flexible cable and the connector pins are
just too close together for me to solder by hand...

Rob

Re: LCD connector adapter

I tried the same thing. After three tries I at least had the wiring
chart correct.  Then I found a company that already made a connector
for one end of what I needed. They were willing to make a test device
for me for free.

One thing you need to know is that the highest frequency signal MUST
be twisted with a ground wire to keep the signal clean. (unless your
run length is, say, around 6 inches.)

Rick
Merrill

Re: LCD connector adapter

Rob,

I have the same display to play with once I get time. For $10 from
Electronic Goldmine it was worth it. I'm not going to bother trying to
solder the thing; mylar flex cables just aren't meant for that. However,
Digikey sells 22-pin flex cable connectors, surface-mount, .5mm pitch, top
or bottom contactor. These are the connectors you are supposed to use, and
I'll add that to my next Digikey order coming up sometime.

I had also considered etching a .5mm pitch pattern on a piece of copperclad
and breaking it out into a .1in header, but I figure the connector at 70
cents or so is worth it just so I don't have to come up with some wierd
clamping mechanism for the cable. Any other way stands a good chance of
shorting something out.

At some point I would like to pull this together with a CPLD,
microcontroller, and A/D converter to make a highly innaccurate little
handheld oscilloscope. What's your plan for yours?

Re: LCD connector adapter

Would you be able to post the digikey part number please ?

Do they have a thru hole version ?
Had  hassles in the past trying to fix the smt versions, which have a =
tendancy to snap
or get really brittle after a few years.

The thru hole versions seemed to last a bit longer
especially in high vibration installations.

Alex

Re: LCD connector adapter

tendancy to snap

http://dkc3.digikey.com/pdf/T033/0047.pdf
http://dkc3.digikey.com/pdf/T033/0048.pdf

They have enough variations. But no thru-hole that I've seen, in .5mm pitch.
Maybe they have gotten a little better with time. I prefer SMD stuff anyway.

Site Timeline