LCD connector adapter

Hi,

Is there some sort of adapter available for an Sony ACX705AKM-7 LCD connector ? It's a 22 pin flat flexible cable and the connector pins are just too close together for me to solder by hand...

Rob

Reply to
Robert Finch

I tried the same thing. After three tries I at least had the wiring chart correct. Then I found a company that already made a connector for one end of what I needed. They were willing to make a test device for me for free.

One thing you need to know is that the highest frequency signal MUST be twisted with a ground wire to keep the signal clean. (unless your run length is, say, around 6 inches.)

Rick Merrill

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Rob,

I have the same display to play with once I get time. For $10 from Electronic Goldmine it was worth it. I'm not going to bother trying to solder the thing; mylar flex cables just aren't meant for that. However, Digikey sells 22-pin flex cable connectors, surface-mount, .5mm pitch, top or bottom contactor. These are the connectors you are supposed to use, and I'll add that to my next Digikey order coming up sometime.

I had also considered etching a .5mm pitch pattern on a piece of copperclad and breaking it out into a .1in header, but I figure the connector at 70 cents or so is worth it just so I don't have to come up with some wierd clamping mechanism for the cable. Any other way stands a good chance of shorting something out.

At some point I would like to pull this together with a CPLD, microcontroller, and A/D converter to make a highly innaccurate little handheld oscilloscope. What's your plan for yours?

Reply to
Garrett Mace

are

However,

top

and

copperclad

70

wierd

of

Would you be able to post the digikey part number please ?

Do they have a thru hole version ? Had hassles in the past trying to fix the smt versions, which have a = tendancy to snap or get really brittle after a few years.

The thru hole versions seemed to last a bit longer especially in high vibration installations.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

tendancy to snap

They have enough variations. But no thru-hole that I've seen, in .5mm pitch. Maybe they have gotten a little better with time. I prefer SMD stuff anyway.

Reply to
Garrett Mace