Lauterbach target-host data transfer and file system help needed

I am debugging a data communication target board using Trace32-USB.
As the target itself has some problem with its network connection, I
want to use the host to send out raw IP packets for testing.

Could anyone help:
1) Is there a data channel in Lauterbach ICE that allows explicit
exchange of data between the target and the host?
2) If there is one, how do I use it (both within the target code and
the host code)

If such real-time data transfer is difficult or impossible, another
method I can think of is to log the data, save it on the host as a
file, then it can be picked up by a host application.
Could anyone help for this approach:
1) Is there any document on the Lauterbach file system on host? I know
I can save settings and display windows in Trace32. So there must be a
file system for Lauterbach. Just don't know how to use it inside a
program. If I use the usual open(), write(), close() function calls,
what must I do to make sure that it will be saved on the Trace32 file
system?

The Lauterbach documentation is confusing if anything, so I am hoping
someone who has gone through this can give me some pointers

Thanks for any help

Re: Lauterbach target-host data transfer and file system help needed

Lauterbach has a scripting language, PRACTICE, as you probably
know. We have used it to automate things like programming FLASH in our
target. It can probably be used to automate your data dumps.

On this ICE68332 "Help Contents" gives a list containing "TRACE32 Documents".
Under that heading you will find "PRACTICE sripting language" with users and
reference mauals.

--
mdc at manbw dk  -  MAN B&W Diesel A/S, Copenhagen
www.manbw.com    -  Electronics & software dept.

This is the code running on the target (not on trace32),

VOID    Application_Initialize(VOID *unused)
{
    FILE *stream;

    // ......
    CreateTasks();

    //Where will it be printed? on Trace32 display window.
    //How can I open a window with window name "Debug message", for
example?
    printf( "Tasks created\n\r" );

    //Where is this file created? can I move around the file system
    // on host, ie. Windows?
    stream 3D% fopen("..\datafiles\testdata.txt", "wb");
}

Can you see my questions?
It would be even better if It is possible to create a pipe between
target and a process on the host, so that I can exchange data between
target and host.
Is there a way to do this?

Regards

hoping
our
Documents".
users and

Re: Lauterbach target-host data transfer and file system help needed
I dont think it is possible to write files on the host from an application.
(Check your documentation, there may be some backdoor in your model.)

You have to think the other way around. Your script should set a breakpoint,
then let the CPU run up to that point. After the break the script can take
over, print or dump what you want.

An ICE is designed to "look over the shoulders" of the system under test, it
is not assumed to invade it. Thus the ICE can see the system, byt ideally,
from the software under test, it should not change anything. This means that
you test in a real life environment, and you can find real life problems.

That is why an ICE is far more expensive than a debugging cable and a monitor
ROM.  ;-)

--
mdc at manbw dk  -  MAN B&W Diesel A/S, Copenhagen
www.manbw.com    -  Electronics & software dept.
Re: Lauterbach target-host data transfer and file system help needed
Thinking along the debugging line, would it be better if you could
collect more information while the target is running? I know you can
use trace tool that comes with Lauterbach (forgot its name, maybe
performance analyser or some other analyser), however it is at the
address bus/data bus level.

I would like to see the target send high level information back
(strings that contain variable values at runtime without breaking the
execution), and lauterbach just collects what is sent to it.

Now, I don't know how to do this by inserting calls in target code.
Lauterbach should do this. Not difficult

Re: Lauterbach target-host data transfer and file system help needed
Sorry, I have no time to go further into this discussion.

It you want runtime information to be output by your system, an ICE is simply
the wrong tool!  :-)

As I wrote yesterday, it is designed for something else.

But if there is a serial port on your system, you can output anything
there. Connect it to a serial port on your host and use e.g. Hyperterminal
to log it. We do that, also when running on the ICE.