Lauterbach debugger - complicated !!

I am using Lauterbach Trace32 debugger for debugging an ARM9 based target. After having spent many days unsuccessfully trying to get the trace of a function , I am frustrated.

I am trying to debug the binary crash for a particular scenario.

The tool does not do things what the GUI tells us it would do.

I would like to know what is the experience of other people with this debugger ?

People tell me that I will have to spent many hours going through the trace32 manuals before I will be able to make it work.

Reply to
shankar.vk

Are you sure your target has an ETM?

-p

Reply to
Paul Gotch

I have used it with a PowerPC target. It worked. Have you tried Lauterbach support (with a bit more detail than "The tool does not do things what the GUI tells us it would do")?

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

I am not mentioning my problem in detail, because I just want to know if it is true that to use trace32 properly, one should learn PRACTICE commands ?

Reply to
shankar.vk

Depends on your definition of "properly." If you want to use the automated scripting capability or write macros, then yes. If you use Trace32 from the GUI, then no. The complete manual for PRACTICE is available from the help menu.

~Dave~

Reply to
Dave

Lauterbach tools are a little esoteric, but they are quite powerful once you figure out their little nuances. They give you a lot of control, but with that they also bring a level of complexity.

I have used them with the S12 processor class for quite a while, but I think most things are somewhat "generic", so what are you trying to do?

I don't remember any specific hangups I have had with the tools. The documentation really isn't too bad. The answer is almost always in there, just sometimes a little piecemeal.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1