large FIFO buffer

Hello all,

I am in the middle of laying out a design for a medical device the reads in data pretty quickly (~20MHz) in bursts, but is limited to a slow serial connection to transfer the data. The solution that comes to my mind is a large FIFO buffer (~100k+) that can take an 8-bit parallel input, but I can't find them anywhere in a reasonable price range. I've looked all over at the common manufactures of logic devices (TI,nationalsemi) and some distributors (digikey,mouser) but can't find much. I hear of hard drives with 512k buffers/caches quite commonly. what am I missing here?

Does anyone know of a model/part# of a pretty high speed, 100k+ fifo buffer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards, Adam Kumpf snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu

Adam Kumpf

20 MHz is not really high speed...

Get some fast SRAM and a CPLD/FPGA and do the FIFO by hand. There are Cypress Dual port memory available, but they are normally hard to get in low quantities. Well, digikey carries Cy7C009/019, but with a real proce tag...

Bye

Uwe Bonnes

I agree you want to use an FPGA for this solution. Would be very simple. If you're doing research might look for A/D conversions as they are usually clocked into a FIFO for holding before processing.

Terry Bowman

Uwe B> > Hello all,

the reads

serial

mind is a

but I

all over

some

drives

fifo

in low

tag...

Reply to
ktbowman

What is reasonable price range??

Often these caches are SRAM/DRAM based using some of the memory of the hard drive or directly under ASIC control.

20MHz is not high speed for FIFOs consider looking at IDT
for their synchronous and asynchronous devices. I do assume this burst data has some form of clock with it.

Has someone else has said a 1Mb(128KB) or 4Mb(512KB) SRAM part is easy to find and a PLD/FPGA to drive that will be fairly trivial. Especially as the output is slower and by the sounds of things could have its read delayed (registered), if necessary whilst in the middle of a write cycle.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

Thanks for all of your help. The SRAM decision only slightly complicated the design, but reduces the price drastically(by a factor of 10 or more!)... just what I was looking for! :)

I'll have a microcontroller on board, so maybe I can bypass the CPLD/FPGA if I'm clever.

Thanks again.

Best Regards, Adam Kumpf

reads

serial

over

data

the

Reply to
Adam Kumpf

Tom Woodrow

Adam Kumpf wrote:

Reply to
Tom Woodrow

Be careful trying to use the processor to do the same task as the FPGA described above. AN FPGA will typically have no latencey or delay in servicing the output and stuffing the FIFO. These delays are often times not guaranteed w/ a processor. If your processor can be doing anything else, which is likely, make certain it will get the data before the next piece of data is ready. This all depends on the context preemption latency of your processor (worse case) versus the data input speed.

Also, an FPGA could be used without SRAM in some cases depending on the size and depth of the data. This also depnds on the FPGA/CPLD used as well. If this is possible then it could be cheaper then using SRAM especially if the FPGA can used for other purposes.

Terry Bowman

Reply to
ktbowman

reads

serial

over

drives

Reply to
Joe.G

That is a good link also but

takes you to store where you can actually buy the products. I just bought a bunch of their FIFO chips.

Tom Woodrow

Reply to
Tom Woodrow