Large 7-segment OLED

Is there such a thing? All I can find on the net are smallish alphanumeric and graphical displays.

Thanks,

Viktor

Reply to
Viktor

Why OLED instead of conventional LED?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Power consumption.

visibility without backlighting. I was hoping to find single or several digit displays to make a large clock module with only a few W consumption.

I don't know if it's just a matter of time before these appear or if there's a technology constraint in making large OLED segments.

Viktor

Reply to
Viktor

conventional LEDs, so at the same brightness, a conventional LED should have lower power.

Reply to
Arlet

It's more likely simple economics - the market for jumbo LEDs is relatively tiny, (and primitive) and anyone developing OLED displays will chase the larger revenue streams first.

How large a display are you after, on what power budget ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Are OLEDs actually any more efficient than standard LEDs for the same light output? I suspect probably not. OLEDs typically compete with LCDs, which throw away at least 50% of th backlight light in the polariser, and then about 60% mode in the RGB filters. Not hard to compete with that with a light-emitting product.

A few W will run a bunch of (carefully chosen) normal LEDs pretty darn bright. And it will last longer - OLEDs still have some lifetime issues ISTR.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Thanks for the answers everybody. I must admit, I've never actually seen a real live OLED so all my information is hazy at best. I imagined it to be something like an LCD with its own light source. So, I thought that in bright light it would have a reflective component like LCDs (I've worked with some big LCDs for petrol station pump displays and they are very good at high ambient light.)

The largest 7-segment LED display I found (LITEON) had a 76mm digit height and was stated at 30mcd/20mA. With four digits, and about 20 segments, that would be about 5W. I can just about manage that, but it wouldn't be at its brightest and it would probably be poor in daylight.

So, is it just wishful thinking or do OLEDs have a reflecive function like LCDs?

Viktor

Reply to
Viktor

5W for 20 segments @ 20mA doesn't sound right. At 1 Volt forward voltage, the power is 20mW/segment, or 400 mW total. I don't know the LITEON specs, but even if Vf is somewhat higher, you don't get close to 5 W.

Of course, if you add in the dissipation in the series resistor, total power will be higher, but you can reduce that by using a lower drive voltage made from a switching power supply (use a SimpleSwitcher for instance), in combination with a smaller resistor.

If you multiplex the displays, you can use a higher peak current, so the resistor can be even smaller, resulting in lower losses.

Reply to
Arlet

Six LEDs in series for each segment. The chart gives 20mA If @ 12V Vf.

Reply to
Viktor

Ah, I see.. that makes sense.

However, at 30mcd/20mA, these aren't the most efficient. There are single LEDs that are a few thousand mcd, at lower power. Perhaps you can make your own display by taking some state of the art LEDs, and mount them behind some diffusing plastic yourself ?

Reply to
Arlet

4" seven-seg displays are pretty common - I think I've also seen 6 & 8"

If you need best readability for minimum power, you may want to look at using slim lines of discrete LEDs ( e.g. PLCC-2/4 types) as the segments , so the light is more concentrated & contrast is maximised.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

No, they don't.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

For a nice looking clock display see

If you need large segments , this way maybe cheaper and brighter than buying

8" seven segment displays(also powered from 12V)

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson