Laptop Hard Disk Interface at 3V

This question has been hard to google!

I know laptop hard disk runs at 5V, my microcontroller will be 3 - 3.3V, can
they be connected directly together with no voltage level convertors?

Thanks in advance!
Richard.

Re: Laptop Hard Disk Interface at 3V

No. Even if your micro has 5V-tolerant inputs, the hard drive is not
designed for 3.3V inputs. It might work, but you'll be riding
tolerances and it might easily NOT work if you change to a different
hard drive. Use a level shifter like, for instance, 74LVC4245.

Re: Laptop Hard Disk Interface at 3V

Most (all?) of the 1 inch drives can run on 3.3v.  The Seagate ST1.2's,
for example, can run on either 3.3 or 5v.  Of course these all tend to
be a bit on the small side, storage-wise.

http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/manuals/external/photo/100375652a.pdf

Re: Laptop Hard Disk Interface at 3V
@hotmail.com says...
I've used  the 40G Hitachi Travelstar  1.8" disk drives which are
designed for and work very nicely on 3.3V.  I used them with a 68K micro
and interface that worked off 3.3V.

Mark Borgerson

Site Timeline