Lantronix UDS1100 in multidrop RS485 application

Hi,

I've got an application that requires a number of environmental controllers be connected on an RS485 2 wire half duplex multidrop bus. I was looking at the Lantronix UDS1100 device servers (or even the older UDS100 / UDS10 ) to let me use the customers LAN so as to save wiring costs.

I know a couple of UDS1100's can be placed back to back and tunnelling used to create a transparent RS485/422/232 link between them but does anyone know if it's possible to arrange, say five, units to form part of a multidrop network for remote nodes on the network. I suspect that I'm only going to be able to arrange a point to point connection between two device servers at a time, but wondered if anyone has been able to broadcast data sent from one unit to a group of other units simultaneously?

thanks,

Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

... snip ...

Tunnelling?

Yes, but you have to control who is the master somehow. Time slots after an addressed 'permision to transmit' will do.

RS485 is a hardware scheme. The protocol is up to you.

CBFalconer

I don't know about he Lantronix units, but I do know that Comtrol's device servers can be configured that way: you can configure a DeviceMaster RTS unit to send data received on a port to a list of other ports/units. [Disclaimer: I work for Comtrol]

I presume you're using a single-master, multiple-slave protocol on the RS-485 portions of the network?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Let's send the
                                  at               Russians defective

Across the Ethernet connection between the device-server units.

Due to the nature of delays on the Ethernet TCP/IP or UDP link(s), the timeslots would probably have to be pretty course. I think that any Peer-to-peer protocol is going to be pretty tricky. A single-master command/resposne protocol should work easily enough.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I represent a
                                  at               sardine!!

I forgot the link:

If you want to do something particularly specialized, there's a software development kit that allows you to write a custom application to run on the device-server.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  HUMAN REPLICAS are
                                  at               inserted into VATS of