LAN interface/control project

Dear All,

I could be involved in a new project as hw engineer. The main issue is to interface/connect some kind of control machines via LAN. I think remote log and fw upgrade could be requested too.

I've got hardware design skills, mainly from industrial controls and sensors area and I've got firmware design knowledge too, mainly from teamworking on energy conversion devices. At the moment I think that the project is 30% hw and 70% shared between uC-firmw and PC-softw.

I feel confident with the hw part... but I was never asked to design a LAN interface (neither hw nor sw), and I'm actualy not confident with ETHERNET/TCP-IP protocols, so I need to close the gap, starting from (re)studying the matter. Even if I'm not expeted to develop the firmware (not all, anyway) I would like to be able to interface with sw and fw engineers. Can anybody direct my to some "incremental" readings, from the basic to security issue regarding remote controls over internet ?

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas.

sibern

Reply to
sibern

If you are only going to build a limited number of these devices, then using a module with TCP/IP embedded makes a lot of sense. You can get the Digi Connect modules from digikey for 50$ per unit in singles.

One probably need quantities in excess of a few 1000 a month before it makes it wothwhile to develop one's own TCP/IP stack.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

I agree with your assessment but there are so many TCP/IP stacks already written, both commercial and open source, that it is not worthwhile to write your own TCP/IP stack.

The RFCs, or Requests For Comments, are essentially the specs for TCP/IP. See

for a list of internet RFCs. RFC 1180 is a TCP/IP tutorial.

Paul Bosselaers

Reply to
Paul Bosselaers