knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.

I need some decent pointer knobs for pots with 1/8" (inch)
shafts.  Have found some, but too large and tooooo expensive
(>$1.80 each).  Anyone got a good source for these or other
good idea?  Heck, even the 1/4" to 1/8" converters are
expensive.  Ain't miniaturization grand??

Thanks,
Dave

Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.
We had the same problem with 5mm shafts and 1/4" knobs.  We would up
drilling out 1/4" #8 spacers to 5mm.     You might consider drilling out
1/4" rod and supergluing it to the small shaft.

Jim

Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.

http://www.mpja.com/listitems.asp?dept15%4&main11%0
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category31%0&type=store

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

http://www.sifam.co.uk/collet_intro.lasso

Graham

Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.
I make my own by filling an empty toothpaste cap with epoxy.
I drill it out, drill and tap a side hole for a small set screw.
I've been doing this for 30+ years.
Makes a nice, narrow profile knob.
Best----
Ron

---
Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.

Helluva good idea!

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

Mine all have tooth-marks in them from opening the tube with my
teeth... :)

Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.

It shouldn't have to have those ;-)

I like the laboratory workers' way of opening this kind of container
with only one hand: hold the tube with the "lower" 3 fingers, then use
thumb and index finger to unscrew the top.  Trains your dexterity
quite a bit --- which may come in handy next time you have to solder a
wire in the field, with no "third hand" tool at hand, so you have to
manipulate 3 or 4 objects with only two hands ;-)

Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.

Thank you all for the help.  I'm especially amused at the
idea of using a tooth paste cap.  My problem is that my cap
is a pop open
(http://www.colgatetotal.com/app/ColgateTotal/US/Products.cvsp )

So I was wondering if I could make a cap from a wine cork
(have a few of those)??  :-)

Dave,

Re: knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.
I can't think of any reason why not, other than how well it can grab
the shaft - I wonder if there's some kind of plasticizer - or maybe
drill a 3/16" hole, fill it with epoxy, then drill out the epoxy to
1/8". And leave the outside just cork - over the years, the knobs
will "acquire character." ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Site Timeline