knobs for 1/8" shaft dia.

I need some decent pointer knobs for pots with 1/8" (inch) shafts. Have found some, but too large and tooooo expensive (>$1.80 each). Anyone got a good source for these or other good idea? Heck, even the 1/4" to 1/8" converters are expensive. Ain't miniaturization grand??

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Dave Boland

We had the same problem with 5mm shafts and 1/4" knobs. We would up drilling out 1/4" #8 spacers to 5mm. You might consider drilling out

1/4" rod and supergluing it to the small shaft.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
DaveM

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I make my own by filling an empty toothpaste cap with epoxy. I drill it out, drill and tap a side hole for a small set screw. I've been doing this for 30+ years. Makes a nice, narrow profile knob. Best---- Ron

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ron G

Helluva good idea!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Mine all have tooth-marks in them from opening the tube with my teeth... :)

Reply to
larwe

It shouldn't have to have those ;-)

I like the laboratory workers' way of opening this kind of container with only one hand: hold the tube with the "lower" 3 fingers, then use thumb and index finger to unscrew the top. Trains your dexterity quite a bit --- which may come in handy next time you have to solder a wire in the field, with no "third hand" tool at hand, so you have to manipulate 3 or 4 objects with only two hands ;-)

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

Thank you all for the help. I'm especially amused at the idea of using a tooth paste cap. My problem is that my cap is a pop open

)

So I was wondering if I could make a cap from a wine cork (have a few of those)?? :-)

Dave,

Reply to
Dave Boland

I can't think of any reason why not, other than how well it can grab the shaft - I wonder if there's some kind of plasticizer - or maybe drill a 3/16" hole, fill it with epoxy, then drill out the epoxy to

1/8". And leave the outside just cork - over the years, the knobs will "acquire character." ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise