KEIL executable

We are using Keil software for developing on our 8051 board.How can we use Keil to create an executable for downloading to our 8051 board?

Reply to
Sayan

On 8051 you have either .hex or .bin file wich you have to download to 8051, most offten paralel programmer (device) is used for that.

So you don't have .exe file for 8051, you have .hex file.

Reply to
Mickey

So if we just download the .hex file to our board, it will work?

Reply to
Sayan

Sayan,

This is basic information in the Keil docs.

Maybe you need a consultanat to teach you how to use the tools you purchased.

I am available. :-)

PS: Yes, once you have the hex file, a programmer will be needed to program the chip you are using.

"download" is a very fluid term.

The chip you are using will have a specific way of programming.

So, we will need to know what chip you are using. We will also need to know if the hex file is small enough to fit in the chip.

Maybe you need a consultant..... :-)

Sayan wrote:

Reply to
hamilton

If you compiled in Keil for right target processor it will execute your program but that is not even close to working. There are some things you have to watch for like watchdog and other...

Reply to
Mickey

Thanks

I have written a program to download a file from my PC to the 8051 board(along the lines of a Intel SDK 85 board) we have.

That's what i mean by download.

The hex file is quite small,around 50 bytes.

Reply to
Sayan

What is watchdog?

Reply to
Sayan

Now it's time to start reading processor manuals.....

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

You have to tell us how you've built your '8051' system.

Most basic 8051 have no way of receiving serial info (I assume this is how you are downloading?) from a PC without a program already loaded in it's memory.

Most basic 8051 need either an external EPROM memory attached to store the program in, OR some 8051's have internal PROM memory which in both cases, requires an EPROM programmer for example:

This device attached to your PC and the associated software will understand the .hex file and be able to program it into the EPROM or the 8051 chip itself.

This is all very fundamental - good resources are available if you search the web for the basic info, and read the manuals associated with your software/hardware.

HTH Chris.

Reply to
Chris

snipped-for-privacy@hotpop.com (Sayan) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I think you're in over your head. I strongly suggest you read the Keil documentation - all of it. Then read the CPU user's manual. In the end you will get there faster if you do.

A watchdog is a piece of hardware that will reset the CPU if your software does not "service" it within the watchdog timeout period. If you're going to do embedded systems development you should already know this.

--
- Mark ->
Mark A. Odell

In article , Chris writes

Actually these days most Flash based 51's have ISP &a boot loaders. You can download via the serial port

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Sayan writes

You have a lot more to do like reading the basic manual for the part before you burn any programs.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Sayan writes

1 What is the processor type? 2 what is the board if it is a commercial one. 3 what is the application. 4 why are you doing this? student, hobby real project? /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org
\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Reply to
Chris Hills

This is the setup we have:

First this is what works(for Intel SDA 8085):-

VB Program(8085 Simulator)->8085 object code(few bytes)->VB Program(downloader)->to SDA 85 through serial port at fixed memory location

We have an identical setup for the 8051 board.

Reply to
Sayan

how

Granted... it's been a while since I used these things ;-)

Chris_

Reply to
Chris

So in other words you have a 8051 board with all the hardware already designed to accept a serial input and load it into the right memory space on the target?

If this is the case then you should search the web for an Intel-hex to binary converter utility, or even write it yourself - Intel Hex format is not difficult at all to decode (the details will also be on the web somewhere).

Chris.

Reply to
Chris