JPEG hardware encoder

Hello,

I'm looking for JPEG image processors (encoders). I found only 2,
ADV202 from Analog Devices and PM-36 from Zoran. I would appreciate if
anyone could point me to similar devices.

It doesn't need to be very fast. I intend to capture one frame of NTSC
video with Philips' SAA7111, and then do the conversion to JPEG in
hardware, with a dedicated IC. I only need a few frames per second. The
glue logic could be done with CPLDs.

Or, if anyone knows some IC that can capture NTSC video and deliver
JPEG, please tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Ditzel

Re: JPEG hardware encoder

What keeps these off the list? Or are you looking for a wider selection?
Finding 2 sounds pretty lucky.

If it does not have to be fast, why not just JPEG in software? You're going
to have to have a processor _somewhere_. At a minimum, you're going to have
to have some way to set registers in your video chip.

A JPEG machine in HDL is probably pretty common, but I can't say for sure.

Re: JPEG hardware encoder

I'd go with Zoran.  Quality is good, and there is (was?) decent
programming material, both official and unofficial.  Zoran-enabled JPEG
cards were popular in the late 1990s; I owned a few and was impressed
with the quality (and they were definitely fast enough to do 30fps NTSC
capture)

Re: JPEG hardware encoder

While the chips will do exactly what the OP is after, the problem with
Zoran is that you don't get their chips. The sales departement tends
to not even answer to e-mails. They aparently want to sell exclusively
to big major companies ordering zillions of chips.

Markus

Re: JPEG hardware encoder
Un bel giorno Markus Zingg digiṭ:

Instead, you can find ADV202 from ADI almost everywhere (Digikey, for
example). I would go with it; it also supports JPEG2000, while Zoran
doesn't.

--
asd

Re: JPEG hardware encoder
You can implement a JPEG encoder in an FPGA. There is an open source
core available on opencores.org. Take a look at:
http://www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/jpeg/overview

Cheers,
Chris

Site Timeline