Java Virtual Machine with GUI in embedded environment

Hi all,

I need to evaluate the possibility to use a Java Virtual Machine in an embedded environment (it will be a MIPS processor, 400MHz, with a graphical LCD 800x600)

I will need to implement a GUI in this environment.

I successfullty installed kaffe with AWT graphical library: swing would be better, but AWT can go :-)

the problem is that the resulting application is too slow.

To your knowledge, which a more efficient JVM (with graphical library?) I installed gcj, but I have not the graphical libs, or I saw SableVM, which is said to be efficient, but misses the graphical library (ha an old and buggy version of swing)

Any experience in this field?

thank giammy

-- Gianluca Moro

giangiammy

Java, too slow? Never heard of such a thing. Although, I reluctantly admit hearing that ARM cores with Jazelle perform quite well.

Scott (Java cynics unite)

Reply to
Not Really Me

The trick is to do the JIT on the PC and only download native code to the device. Look for a native cross-compiler.

This is somewhat useful:

There's an open source JVM for Arm devices, but it hasn't been updated in years and is quite bug-infested.

The trick is to use no JVM at all on the embedded device. Keep the byte codes on the PC.

Eric

Reply to
Eric