J-Trace

I am using IAR Workbench w/ JLink & have been thinking that Jtrace capability would be real useful. Unfortunately, JTrace is ~ $1300 for the hardware. Is there any open source or 3rd party Jtrace hardware around? I'm using NXP LPC 2300 chips mostly.

Thanks, Tom

Reply to
tporter

In message , tporter writes

Just down load the spec from ARM and do your own hardware. It's that simple. Of course it will cost you a LOT more than 1300 USD to do

You could of course hire some one to do one for you but that will cost a LOT more than 1300 USD

You could as Lauterbach or iSystem for their ARM JTAG-Trace systems but they are a LOT more than 1300 USD.

AFAIK even if there is a published circuit for an ARM Trace system it will cost you more than 1300 USD to make one.

The least expensive answer IS the IAR J-trace.

If you need trace the amount of time it will save you (and Time == money) the IAR J-trace is cost effective.

BTW how do you have "Open Source" hardware? :-) Who in their right mind is going to spend a lot of time and effort doing an ARM-Trace system and make the hardware for less than IAR? They have economy of scale. You will have to make several thousand off to get the manufacturing costs down to a similar price.

So the IAR J-link IS cost effective at 1300 USD.

TIME == MONEY

Work out what it costs your company to run you per hour (usually at least double what they pay you. ) Divide that amount into 1300 and then see how many hours you have spent looking for a cheaper option, how many hours it will take you to do your own. I bet you will find buying the IAR J-trace will be the cheapest option by a long way.

Chris H

Hi Tom,

the only option to get J-Trace a little cheaper would be from the source:

, although it seems to be out of stock right now.

An Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA