Isolated UART communication

Hi All,

I want suggestions about making high-speed opto-isolated UART communications between

  1. Microcoltroller to Microcontroller at TTL Levels.
  2. RS232
Reply to
Rohan

Hi All,

Any suggestions about making high-speed (16k baud) opto-isolated UART communications between

  1. Microcoltroller to Microcontroller at TTL Levels.
  2. RS232 port and microcontroller

How do you guys do it. I use two opto couplers (4n35) for receive and transmit side but it has its speed limitations.

Thanks, Rohan

Reply to
Rohan

Go to Analog Devices Web pages , and click 'isolators'.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Hi, Thanks. I forgot to add that I need a cheap working solution for mass production. Something with normal optocouplers. is it possible. Thanks, Rohan

Reply to
Rohan

What is high speed ? 110/9600/115k2/12Mbit/s ? What isolation requirements 0.5 kV, 2.5 kV, 110 kV or 400 kV ?

Standard 20 mA current loop or +/-10 mA bipolar current loop.

At least RS-232C did not specify speeds above 9k6, so going to 20 mA current loop would be sufficient.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Then use a faster opto-coupler. I have had good results with the SFH6138. These are couplers with a darlington stage when you can pull the base of the second transistor to ground with for instance a 4k7 ohm resistor. This gives you a massive increase in speed. I have run this at 115200 baud without a glitch.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

You still have not said how fast you need to go!

We use H11L1 optos (Schmitt, ~1us, 1.6mA ), as a good trade off between speed and price.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

make TTL compatible isolators that can handle data rates of >50Mb/s. Analog devices also has a range of products that uses the same sort of technology for high speed isolation.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

In his first line:

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

I don't know where you got the parenthesised portion of the text from but it was not in the original post of this thread nor any subsequent one from the OP.

Original message was:-

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Paul E. Bennett

... snip ...

Second post in the thread, which included:

It was posted 2 min after the first post.

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to

My newsreader had organised that into a different thread so it was unseen when I queried the parenthesis portion. Sorry.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Paul E. Bennett

Nope, Not on what I was reading; but no matter, the advice I gave was still sound.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

MIDI runs at 31.25Kb...most schematics I've seen for a midi interface use a 6N138. I've built several interfaces with them and had no problems. It's been about 5 years since I built a midi interface, but I presume they're still available and inexpensive. HTH, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Tauno Voipio ha scritto:

I suggest ADUM1201

-- Per rispondermi sostituisci l'asterisco con la chiocciola e il punto

Reply to
Fabio G.