ISO Outsourced purchasing department

Hi all,

I'm trying to build a few things as a hobby and cannot find many IC parts. I feel I need a purchasing department. By far the most time I've spent on the current project is hunting for parts and redesigning my design for the parts that are available in single quantities.

An example is the common IDT 71V416. It took me a while to find it at arrownac, but I could have saved time by paying a little extra to an 'outsourced' (or 'online' should be a better word) directory that knows who has what available and what price etc. Type in 71V416 and you'll find thousands of adword harvestors and the likes and they just throw you off, and I really dont know many places beside digikey jameco arrownac allamerican and mouser.

Smaller companies can have shared purchasing and hunting departments, so it might as well be spun off into another online company. Does one exist?

Reply to
ghazanhaider

is pretty good, try it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Robert

Reply to
Robert Adsett

I just signed up on 4 sites that were returned by findchips.com, Name, address, reason etc etc, just to know they dont have it in stock. I'm still stuck with arrownac which charges $10 for handling $10 for international and $10 for each line if its under $30, plus other charges.

I'm willing to pay the higher price to have someone else do the legwork, form filling, calls etc. Its tempting to start such a business. Would you guys use such a business?

Reply to
ghazanhaider

Hello Ghazan,

Honest answer: No.

Here's why: Only the design engineer can select parts and weigh them against each other for trade-offs. A purchaser cannot do that. Filling out forms? What forms? A Mouser or Digikey order is just as easy as telling a purchasing agent what you want. Click - select how many - go to next part - when finished click "submit order". I don't see added value here.

My golden rule: If it ain't available at Digikey or Mouser it's probably a boutique part that may go obsolete on me down the road. So I typically don't use it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I think I'm headed the same way. I've already given up on 71V416 and am getting similar Cypress parts. I refused to pay $10 per order line at arrownac.

Reply to
ghazanhaider