Is this possible?

I've been wanting to get into computer programming. This guy claims to be able to teach me to learn how to use php in 17 hours.

I know that's a bit extreme, but he graduated from a good college, and he seems to know what he's talking about on his site.

You guys let me know what you think

thanks, Derek

Reply to
derekw

You sholud not use "computer programming" and "php" in the same sentence.

Bye Jack

Reply to
Jack

oh. that shows how much I know about it.

Reply to
derekw

As mentioned -- PHP???

I really like the Head First books, as good teach-yourself tutorials. I don't know how one would work if you were starting from the absolute ground up, but it'd be worth a try.

If you mean desktop computer programming, I suggest Java as a first language. It's a good complete language, and it has training wheels on. So you'll be able to do just about anything that you'll ever want a desktop computer to do, and the language will make it difficult for you to do anything really horrendous.

If you want to program embedded microprocessors then the choices become a bit harder. You may still want to start with Java on the desk top, then move to assembly or C on a micro -- learning Java will get you up and going, so that when you transition to microprocessors you'll only have to learn the funny fiddly bits having to do with programming inside of a shoebox.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Having clicked on the link and seen that's a relatively expensive "correspondence" course I suggest that you would be better off buying a couple of books and learning that way.

tim

Reply to
tim....

I'd recommend Python -- it's a lot more interactive, but Java isn't bad. PHP seems like a weird choice.

--
Grant
Reply to

Especially if something like Python which can be downloaded for free.

Then you can try things out as you go.

Make SURE the books you get do NOT rely on SPECIFIC versions of languages/compilers/platforms BEFORE pruchasing them.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

.

good info. thx. I've also tried to learn from some delphi turbo videos on youtube but gave it up after a couple days

Reply to
derekw

We're doing our best to help newbies to get a start developing embedded software without having to use C or assembler. The Oberon-07 compiler used in our Astrobe system generates native code which is comparable to C in performance and has both high-level and low-level language features (direct register access, interrupt procedures, leaf procedures etc. etc.):

Regards, Chris Burrows

CFB Software

Chris Burrows

There are several Forth systems available, both open source and proprietary. The commercial ones generate optimised native code. The one we supply has support for all the usual stuff such as SD cards, FAT file systems, USB and TCP/IP.

There are several Forth tutorials available. See:

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691